Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nitemare1

So what does everyone think of Bioshock? *no spoilers*

Good or Bad?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

I just got home from work and since I'm a bachelor tonight I'm dedicating myself to Bioshock (the sacrifices I make :D )

Initial impressions so far...

- Yeah, the game is pretty linear but nothing like Doom 3 or any other "marque" FPS. Each level has multiple objectives (saving/harvesting the little sisters being the most notorious) but you can pretty much go about them in whichever order you like. There's also enough side stuff thrown in that you really do feel as though you're being immersed in this world. Overall, you'll find lots of freedom to go just about anywhere you like at any given time.

- The story is compelling. Not sure I have to elaborate but it's something that really sets this game up to stand head and shoulders above most FPS games.

- Thank God for the save-anywhere feature! Really. You're gonna love this.

- On a similar note, the vita-chambers are an interesting twist. If you get whacked you're "regenerated" into exactly the same scenario as the moment of your death. So if a Big Daddy is giving you trouble you don't have to sweat starting the fight over each time you're regenerated. His/her health will be at the same level as when you died. I suspect this will bother some purists but it keeps the story arc intact and for someone whose gaming time is valuable this little feature will be gratefully received.

- The voice acting is actually very good. Only problem is that some NPCs seem to be stuck in a loop, repeating the same phrase two or three times in a row. But the AI is really very good and unless you're quick on the reload you'll get dead by a spider splicer ASAP.

- The machine hacking videogame doesn't ever seem to get old. Hack turrets, vending machines, cameras, health stations... it's all good! And always an amusing little break in the action.

EDIT: Forgot to add... I'm playing with the goal of saving all the little sisters. It doesn't appear to have made the game any more difficult than had I harvested them all. So don't feel compelled to play one way or the other (unless you're a heartless prick who likes killing little girls :D )

Great game. As previously mentioned, this does appear to be one of those games that makes me not feel so good. Either the movement or the colors, not sure. But, that being said, I can't put the controller down once I've started. Loads O' Fun! Also, going for that achievement earned by saving the little sisters. I think the game is linear as far as following the objectives, but the HOW is where you can get creative. I like the RPG elements of character developement choices. Looks like we won't be seeing each other for a while....

I just got home from work and since I'm a bachelor tonight
Does wifey know? ... lol ;)
(unless you're a heartless prick who likes killing little girls :D )

Quit beating around the bush and just say my name!!!! ;)

Are you guys going to try and get the achievement for not harvesting any of the little sisters? I wonder how much harder that makes the game...

I imagine that ramps up the difficulty significantly. I remember reading something in the manual that you NEED ADAM, otherwise the game will be difficult to get through. And the only way to get a significant supply of ADAM is slicing up the Little Sisters! ;)

WTF dude! NO SPOILERS! I didn't know that!!!! :x

But it's in the manual!

Sorry! ;)

I personally feel that its usually the frame-rate that kills me on games as far as motion sickness. This is showcased by the fact that all N64 games run at like 20fps or whatever, every single game on that damn system made me sick. A lot of PS1 games that ran at the same speed killed me. So Far Bioshock hasn�t gotten to me yet.

I really love it, I ended up taking back the strat guide because when I got stuck and tried to use it, I had already gone in such a totally different direction that I was lost. So it does have a degree of openness to it. The diaries are good and very interesting story wise. So far I have used the weapon combo you use in the demo almost exclusively. And I have gotten a rather large arsenal and not really used it. I can�t wait to play more tonight, hopefully I made it through the next chapter.

I think it's fantastic! I love the little secret passageways you can get into. Just wish I could figure out how to open up more slots for plasmids.

Please don't let this game be too short. Anyone have a rough idea on the time it takes to complete it?

I've only played 20 minutes of it (and 10 of those minutes consisted of me swimming around in the water so that I could look at stuff).

That said, I don't think that my husband and I will have the same experience with the game. Even on the demo we differentiated in our approach to danger. In the room with the flamethrower he took on the waves of splicers head on so he could see the danger coming and reacted with action. I, on the other hand, am a little girl and I hid in the restrooms and made the splicers trickle through the doorway). It sounds silly but it really changed the feel of the demo.

I love it! It is pretty linear at the start (not fought a BD yet), but supposedly that opens up a lot later on.

Hacking mini-game is great.

Finding stuff and exploring is the shit, and the voice acting is fantastic, especially in the diary entries.

I'm playing through with the intent of saving the LS's, so I'm glad to hear what stopgo said.

If you want a cool spoiler, check out the achievements list at xbox360achievements.org and look at the third last secret Achievement. :D I hope that's what you get by saving all the LS's!

EDIT: **SPOILER**

So I saved my third little sister and from Tennenbaum I got 200 Adam, 18 (?) armour-piercing rounds for my pistol and a free Plasmid-Hypnotize Big Daddy (basically, it makes a BD think you are a LS and fight to protect you.

It would seem that the amounts of Adam aren't all that different, and when you factor in the free Plasmid (worth 60 Adam), it works out pretty well (so far) to save LS's.

At this point it's 22:1 (love:hate). I felt I should play a little more before voting. Wow, this game is incredibly cool. I like the hacking so much I'll just hack machines even when I don't need something from them - just to prove that I can do it. The creepy factor is awesome; there was a point where I was walking through a tunnel and I could hear and feel (rumble) the big daddy, but not see him. Damn, I haven't been scared by a game in a long time. Like others have said, I also find myself going with the shock+wrench combo most of the time which is fun. The machine gun feels unwieldy.

The one bad thing I can say about this game is that I want my wife to play it herself so we can talk about it, but at the same time I don't want her to play because I want to play.

Such a deep, solid game.

I've been trying to sneak up on people and going with headshots by zooming in with the pistol. OSOK and there's tons of pistol ammo lying around.

**SPOILER**

I saved another 3 LS's and I got another 200 Adam, a hacking gene tonic (that wasn't as good as the two I already had equipped), and a bunch of specialty rounds for the machine gun. Plus, the angelic feeling from saving them. :D

The pistol has zoom??

needless to say it's great....I noticed that it is really a different exp each time...You know the part in the beginning when you break the rock and crawl out into the staircase and the guy hurls that flaming couch at you? well I did that once and had to restart , the first time it went to the left side and there was a clear passage to the right...so the second time around I was expecting it to be the same...nope it fell down the stairs totally differently and slammed right into me...awesome.

MINOR SPOILERS

All the weapons have zoom (actually, I don't have the chemical thrower or the cross-bow, and I haven't tried it with the grenade launcher, so maybe not all of them, but the shotty, pistol, and machine gun all do). It doesn't zoom in much, but a little, and then you lose the reticule so you have to use the sights on the weapon to aim. Kinda cool as far as immersion goes. The collision detection is a little generous, so that helps too. :)

The game is pretty awesome! The chemical weapon is prety awesome, the choice between liquid nitro and napalm just makes me giggle like a school girl as does the dummy plasmid...I'll be playing it again once I am finished.

it is much less generous when you get a certain cross bow later.... can get irritating...

Yeah, but the zoom on the cross bow is as close as this game gets to a sniper rifle, plus it's really powerful. Maybe they nerfed the collision detection a bit to rein in the imbalance a little.

The wife got me this today but i still have yet to get to play it :(

PLAY IT NOW!!!! ;)

I finished it last night playing the "good guy" role and I'm still blown away. I can't wait to start again.

Just out of curiosity can you use you're last save file and go back to the old levels? you know to look for audio diaries and upgrade stations and what not?

I got the impression from the sub that you can go back to places you've already been.

Just out of curiosity can you use you're last save file and go back to the old levels? you know to look for audio diaries and upgrade stations and what not?

I got the impression from the sub that you can go back to places you've already been.

i dont think so, i wasnt able to find anyhting like that last night.