Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tooboomafoo

What book are you reading?

I am actually re-reading "The Left Behind" series. Read it for the first time all the way through (12 books) back in 2009, and decided to go ahead and read it again. I am not a very religious person, but I did enjoy the series and am enjoying it the second time through.

Actually those (first three at least) are already sitting on the shelf waiting for my second read through.

It was a bit of a joke anyway...plenty of books lying around that both of us should get to reading. :)

im reading my 2 month old The Hobbit. she seems to be really into it lol

get em started early!

A while ago, my 4yo wanted me to tell him a story...so i started to him the Hobbit (although it was MY version and not read from a book :( )

"there was this little guy who lived in a hole in the ground...etc. etc."

he loved it!...so now i think i need to get the book out and give him the real version.

I'm reading Corsair by Clive Cussler, Its a book about piracy, naval warfare and ancient treasure. So far there are some great action sequences and good character development.

Just finished Dune by Frank Herbert. It was good. I now understand all the hubbub on why people didn't like the movie. While I was reading I kept wondering when the voice weapons were going to show.

I'm almost done with Dune Messiah. I'm not enjoying it as much as the first book.

A question for any Dune fans out there: After Dune Messiah, should I read Children of Dune or Winds of Dune next?

Just finished Dune by Frank Herbert. It was good. I now understand all the hubbub on why people didn't like the movie. While I was reading I kept wondering when the voice weapons were going to show.

I'm almost done with Dune Messiah. I'm not enjoying it as much as the first book.

A question for any Dune fans out there: After Dune Messiah, should I read Children of Dune or Winds of Dune next?

IMO you should stay away from anything that Brian Herbert has written....not a fan.

Sooo...i would go with children of dune. Some of his later books (God Emperor and Chapter house) are almost if not better than the original

IMO you should stay away from anything that Brian Herbert has written....not a fan.

Sooo...i would go with children of dune. Some of his later books (God Emperor and Chapter house) are almost if not better than the original

I have them all on audio book. I started with the Brian Herbert prequels and worked my way through 7 or 8(?) books. When I hit Children of Dune I just had to stop. During Dune Messiah I was starting to lose interest, and I couldn't focus on Children of Dune at all - it was just too ... well ... boring and hard to follow. Maybe it was the format, and reading it on paper where you can skip back and reread stuff would have been better.

I thought the Brian Herbert books were OK. Way more straightforward drama and conflict with way less complexity than the books his dad wrote. But I thought they had a lot of interesting characters and stories.

I have them all on audio book. I started with the Brian Herbert prequels and worked my way through 7 or 8(?) books. When I hit Children of Dune I just had to stop. During Dune Messiah I was starting to lose interest, and I couldn't focus on Children of Dune at all - it was just too ... well ... boring and hard to follow. Maybe it was the format, and reading it on paper where you can skip back and reread stuff would have been better.

I thought the Brian Herbert books were OK. Way more straightforward drama and conflict with way less complexity than the books his dad wrote. But I thought they had a lot of interesting characters and stories.

Ya, Children of Dune, and Dune Messiah are definite stage setters...the weaker of all his books (but necessary for his later works).

Just d/l "The call of Cthullhu" by H.P.Lovecraft...his stuff is so awesome...even if they are just short stories...

I just read [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Tooth-Grin-Dimebag-Darrell/dp/0306815249]Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott[/ame] by Zac Crain. It was a good read especially if you are a rock/metal fan.

Before that I read [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316044695/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YH60F687CC06YAMHHCJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10[/ame]. It was a very good military read that is not heavily bogged down in military jargon. This is an amazing and heart breaking story about our soldiers and what they do for us.

On a lighter note, I am now reading [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Warded-Man-Peter-V-Brett/dp/0345518705/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303658439&sr=1-1]The Warded Man [/ame] by Peter V. Brett. It is good but not as in depth as a Martin book.

This damn Kindle app makes it too easy to purchase books!

Edit. Also if you are into fantasy you need to read the Black Company Books. They are dark and about a mercenary company. Glen Cook started this in 1984. They have now combined the books in larger books (containing 3 of the original books).

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303658834&sr=1-1]Chronicles of the Black Company[/ame] This is the first 3 books in this one.

Just finished reading "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game," by Michael Lewis.

From Amazon:

Billy Beane, general manager of MLB's Oakland A's and protagonist of Michael Lewis's Moneyball, had a problem: how to win in the Major Leagues with a budget that's smaller than that of nearly every other team. Conventional wisdom long held that big name, highly athletic hitters and young pitchers with rocket arms were the ticket to success. But Beane and his staff, buoyed by massive amounts of carefully interpreted statistical data, believed that wins could be had by more affordable methods such as hitters with high on-base percentage and pitchers who get lots of ground outs. Given this information and a tight budget, Beane defied tradition and his own scouting department to build winning teams of young affordable players and inexpensive castoff veterans.

A couple of the chapters gets deep into statistics and got pretty boring, but I thought overall the book was very interesting. Some insight into baseball is always pretty interesting to me.

Next up is "Zombie Spaceship Wasteland," by Patton Oswalt.

Just started a book called "Rise of the Zombie"...so far pretty cool,bout a guy that is a scientist,that is also a zombie trying to save the zombies,so they will be the next evolution on earth...

I have finished the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Mayberry up to the most recent one. Think of them as the book version of 24 as far as plot goes but they are set in a longer stage. Easy read, some action some thriller espionage stuff as well. They lean heavy to bio weapons and the first one is simply awesome. They are all good page turners that will keep you up at night. First one is called Patient Zero

I'm 9 chapters into The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I have the first four Game of Thrones novels waiting for me, but I can't not finish a book I've already started... so I must slog through it. Don't even know why I got it, The Sword of Shannara wasn't a great story to begin with :/

If you're into fantasy and you haven't read George Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" you need to get them NOW. Absolutely awesome series, very gritty and grim which is a nice change of pace from most. Hopefully he doesn't die before he finally finishes it.

Has anyone read "The Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin?

Great series for those who love LOTR.

-The Glavin

;)

Yah. Fantastic series!

Deep, dark and extremely well written....a must read

Yeah I just started reading the series after watching the first episode on HBO, Haven't made it far with exams and work, but hopefully this summer I can get through them.

I'm reading Extinction by B.V. Larson because I got a new iPad from work and it was $3 and at the top of the best-selling sci-fi list on the Kindle store. :D

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Extinction-Star-Force-Series-ebook/dp/B004UBFVPO/ref=pd_ts_zgc_kinc_158591011_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=1275743562&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=668010011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=007S4KV73T8KY9GKYJT7]Amazon.com: Extinction (Star Force Series) eBook: B. V. Larson: Kindle Store[/ame]

I actually started with his other book in the series, Swarm, also 3 bucks. They're ... decent. Worth $3. :P

I started last week Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Finished Book 1

Reading Book 2.

I'm just about finished with with Xenocide, part of the Ender Wiggins series. Great book!

I think I'm going to slip a different genre into the mix before I start the next one... any suggestions on a mystery book? I want to try some sort of Gothic murder mystery (along the lines of Sherlock Holmes, but not Holmes).

-The Glavin

I'm about half way through A Game of Thrones. The TV series on HBO has made me want to go back and re-read the ASOIAF series.