Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sansabar

What/where would your ultimate zombie fortress be?

57 posts in this topic

So me and my friend were talking about this today...if your could choose any place/building to be your ultimate zombie fortress, what would it be?

Keep in mind things like

1) you probably wont be able to rely on the grid to supply you power.

2) Ease of defense

3) Ease of entrance and exit for humans

4) Proximity / ability to find / grow food

5) Coolness factor

I think mine might have to be the Disneyland area in Cali, Gates everywhere. Inclosed. The monorail tracks could be used to exit, but the zombies would have a hard time using them. Place has generators. Its located in a big city, in case i had to go out and brave the apocalypse....plus i could set up HQ in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yours?

How about a Wal-mart. You could easily block the front doors. There are no windows besides the doors. I would bet anything they have some kind of back of generators to save the freezer/fridge section if the power went out. Tons of canned food, clothing, blankets, medicine (even a pharmacy if we needed antibiotics or pain killers), a sporting goods section for survival equipment and weapons/ammo. We could use the back delivery doors to move in and out as we needed. The one in my town is on the edge of the city, so most likely there would be a less dense crowd around the area. It is also located next to a home depot, a walgreens, and 3 gas stations.

The wal-mart isn't too cool, but it could get the job done.

My HQ would be right up in the sporting goods section where I could watch all the weapons.

I'm like 99% sure we already had this thread...

well...im 98% sure you suck!

I would need quite a few people to help run it and maybe a nuclear technician or two, but an aircraft carrier in the southern pacific would be perfect. You have defense; the worlds most advanced weapons and the worlds largest moat. Access is as easy as retracting a huge door and launching a boat. Nearly infinite drinking water which in turn means the ability to grow food but that may take some time to build garden boxes, bring in soil from the many islands and the such to grow food on deck, but i'm sure there would still be plenty of food stuffs available in the galleys, while that task is being achieved!

well...im 98% sure you suck!

That is 110% correct!

Who cares, fun to talk about!

My in-laws live in a fairly secluded village called Lion's Bay just north of Vancouver. It up a pretty steep, single access road, with an even steeper driveway. That'll be good for easy security, and we can have other survivors in neighboring houses.

There will likely be no power, but the place has a wood stove for heat and cooking. The river is just below, so we could fish for food as needed and a harbour loaded with boats if we need to get away.

Jurassic Park. Nice and warm with plenty of fruit to eat, and the dinosaurs eat the zombies.

Lions Bay..

i think i drove through there back in my early 20s!

Just a little north of Bowers island ya? Pretty area.

Lions Bay..

i think i drove through there back in my early 20s!

Just a little north of Bowers island ya? Pretty area.

I think so, closest landmark is Horseshoe bay, where the ferry terminal is. You drive through is on the way to Whistler.

I once went to a friend's wedding in Powell River. Is that in the neighborhood? I love it up there.

I also think that an air craft carrier would be the best option, but a prison would work well too:

* Hard to get into

* Usually in the middle of nowhere

* Stocked well with lots of food

* Good amount of weapons/gear

* Towers with great sight-lines

* Enclosed fields for farming

While the air craft carrier would require many people to maintain and operate, a prison could probably be held by only a few people since the guard to prisoner ratio is usually like 1:100. The only problem would be the current occupants, but I'm guessing that this is an ideal scenario type thing.

I once went to a friend's wedding in Powell River. Is that in the neighborhood? I love it up there.

That's a bit further away up the coast, but similar landscape.

If you're a BSG fan, it's where all the flashback scenes were done with Baltar and the hot Cylon chick, I've canoed right by that house many times. B)

I also think that an air craft carrier would be the best option, but a prison would work well too:

* Hard to get into

* Usually in the middle of nowhere

* Stocked well with lots of food

* Good amount of weapons/gear

* Towers with great sight-lines

* Enclosed fields for farming

While the air craft carrier would require many people to maintain and operate, a prison could probably be held by only a few people since the guard to prisoner ratio is usually like 1:100. The only problem would be the current occupants, but I'm guessing that this is an ideal scenario type thing.

Someone hasn't read the walking dead comics...at least not all the way through yet.

Someone hasn't read the walking dead comics...at least not all the way through yet.

Yeah I have, but was hoping that nobody would catch that....hey, it worked for a while! I was thinking like an Alcatraz type place too; that one was on land....

Yeah I have, but was hoping that nobody would catch that....hey, it worked for a while! I was thinking like an Alcatraz type place too; that one was on land....

Hey, still a good idea!

lol, I wasn't complaining about the thread, just saying. :p

And I think I'd have to agree with Ron. Assuming the prison isn't already infected, and you can either control or work with the prisoners. Would suck to have riots and shit, ontop of zombies. So I guess I kind of wouldn't want the prison after all. Too many ifs and shit to work out, and lets face it, in a zombie apolocalypse, I don't see people getting along, even if they have to.

I'd like to say private island, but that didn't exactly work out for the crew in dawn of the dead. :p

But realistically, I'd probably head up north, as cold as possible, but still livable. Speaking realistically, zombies are corpses, and they would freeze over real quick in the cold, much easier to surive when your attackers are frostbitten.

When the Zombies Apocolypse happens, I'm just packing all my camping and hunting gear in the Jeep, along with any food, water, and BEER. Them just heading to the most dense forest with a good water source and set up camp. Just wait it out and live off the land.

THAT is a great idea Simian!

Yeah i've had that idea for a while. I mean it makes perfect sense to use an aircraft carrier, with respect to defense and long term survival/sustainability with all the electricity and water you could ever use :) Any other ideas i have had were very short term in comparison.

There's a Public Storage place about 10 minutes from my house (because let's face it, in the event of a zombie apocalypse you won't be able to travel easily, so the closer the better).

It's fenced off, and full of potential weapons/supplies. Nearby there's a hardware store and a few other useful things if we don't find all we need there. The hardest part will be food, so we may have to do some raiding at the nearby Fred Meyer until we get the hydro garden set up on top of the storage units. But yeah. We could easily see any potential zombie threats, barricade ourselves in really well, and have lots of peoples crap to keep us warm/defended. This is actually something my close friends have already planned for. B) We all live within 15 minutes of the area, one of them knows how to make chainmail and basic weaponry, and my husband is a gardener.

I think mine might have to be the Disneyland area in Cali, Gates everywhere. Inclosed. The monorail tracks could be used to exit, but the zombies would have a hard time using them. Place has generators. Its located in a big city, in case i had to go out and brave the apocalypse....plus i could set up HQ in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yours?

That is amazing. Can my crew join your crew at Disney World? I want to dress like a pirate for our meetings in our HQ.

There's a Public Storage place about 10 minutes from my house (because let's face it, in the event of a zombie apocalypse you won't be able to travel easily, so the closer the better).

You have the best plan I've heard, Blindcrow. I shall take it under advisement when my crew and I migrate up toward Canada/Alaska so we can get into a colder area. We all decided to head north in hopes that the zombies (as walking corpses) would freeze solid during the extremely cold winters up there. I mean, you could do some winter zombie smashing in order to help take care of your own part of the infected population.

I would have to hang out in Nevada/Arizona where they have the totally self sustaining eco friendly houses. They recycle water dug up deep in the desert and uses solar panels for EVERYTHING. I could spend days building walls of sand and growing pot.......one day closing the walls and making a dome, then smoking it out. Come at me zombies I got the munchies!

You have the best plan I've heard, Blindcrow. I shall take it under advisement when my crew and I migrate up toward Canada/Alaska so we can get into a colder area. We all decided to head north in hopes that the zombies (as walking corpses) would freeze solid during the extremely cold winters up there. I mean, you could do some winter zombie smashing in order to help take care of your own part of the infected population.

Thank you! We tried to look at it as practically as possible (about a zombie apocalypse of course) Oh, and zombie raiding parties would happen at least bi-weekly. Gotta keep in shape, keep in practice, and keep the hordes down. :D

I would have to hang out in Nevada/Arizona where they have the totally self sustaining eco friendly houses. They recycle water dug up deep in the desert and uses solar panels for EVERYTHING. I could spend days building walls of sand and growing pot.......one day closing the walls and making a dome, then smoking it out. Come at me zombies I got the munchies!

Would your sustainable eco system include Paulie Shore? I liked Bio Dome and all, but a person can only take so much!