FineAgedTequila

Book recommendation time!

215 posts in this topic

I'm in need of about 10 books - so it's time again for my yearly "what should I read" thread.

I typically enjoy Science Fiction and fantasy (think The Dark Tower or Lord of the Rings) as well as books like Altered Carbon, Snow Crash, and "cyber punk".  I've got a Stephen King book already, but more is always better but I've read nearly all of them at this point.

So, who's got some interesting reading choices?

If you haven't read the "A Song of Fire and Ice" books (Game of Thrones), then you need to NOW!

1 person likes this

If you haven't read the "A Song of Fire and Ice" books (Game of Thrones), then you need to NOW!

The first was good, the second was ok, the third was defenestrated

I'm about to start reading Horns by Joe Hill. (Stephen Kings son)  The reviews are pretty decent and it seems like a cool story.

2 people like this

Read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Probably one of the best true story military book I've read. Then when you come back from soaking up rays you can watch the movie that will be out in January. If you are interested in another military (ww2) book I'll be glad to tell you about that too.

3 people like this

I'm about to start reading Horns by Joe Hill. (Stephen Kings son)  The reviews are pretty decent and it seems like a cool story.

Thanks, that's only $3 on Kindle so I'll definitely check it out

Read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Probably one of the best true story military book I've read. Then when you come back from soaking up rays you can watch the movie that will be out in January. If you are interested in another military (ww2) book I'll be glad to tell you about that too.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Those typically aren't my style of book, but I'll check out an excerpt to see if I might enjoy this one.

Have you read the Black Company books by Glen Cook? Great fantasy with a hard edge.

2 people like this

The Blue nowhere. 

its a computer hacker vs computer hacker/serial killer book. one of my favs.

1 person likes this

Have you read the Black Company books by Glen Cook? Great fantasy with a hard edge.

Thanks, I have not.  I got the first book and will research more in the series if I enjoy it.

The Blue nowhere. 

its a computer hacker vs computer hacker/serial killer book. one of my favs.

Looks cool and different, will definitely give it a read.

also check out R.A Salvatore's books. his Drizzt series is amazing in my opinion when it comes to fantasy. its set in the forgotten realms rpg setting and such. if you play never winter nights you will notice a lot of the lore in the books. 

2 people like this

there's a crap ton of Star Trek books to read

I've read Star trek "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew Robinson(the actor who played Elim Garak on DS9) though looking on amazon.com Kindle version seems to have a half ass job done to it

http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Time-Star-Trek-Space/dp/0671038850

Will take a look... not sure if I want to open that can of worms :)

also check out R.A Salvatore's books. his Drizzt series is amazing in my opinion when it comes to fantasy. its set in the forgotten realms rpg setting and such. if you play never winter nights you will notice a lot of the lore in the books. 

Oh shit... lol.  I've heard of him but haven't read those.  That's a giant can of worms as well... will have to think about if I want to start on that or not :)

100% agree with stevie. Cleric quintet books were great as well. Drizzt, cadderly and artemis sagas are in the same realm!

1 person likes this

100% agree with stevie. Cleric quintet books were great as well. Drizzt, cadderly and artemis sagas are in the same realm!

Way to contribute something unique and meaningful :p

kidding!  Thanks for the input, good to know there's some added support for that series.

1 person likes this

Ass. That Drizzt series has 10+ books alone, plus spin offs. Start with the drow legacy then ice wind dale trilogy, even ice wind dale was first. Drow legacy takes place before ice wind dale.

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson might be interesting to you. Maybe...

1 person likes this

Not a fantasy book, but Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" was awesome! It's historical fiction that takes place during the 12th century in an English village.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Pillars-Earth-Ken-Follett/dp/0451166892

Read it, was awesome.  The sequel was great as well.

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson might be interesting to you. Maybe...

Will check it out, thanks!

I'm reading House of Blades by Will Wight. It was cheap on amazon, and it's pretty good so far.

1 person likes this

I'm reading House of Blades by Will Wight. It was cheap on amazon, and it's pretty good so far.

Thanks, look really interesting

Have you started the Dresden Files yet?

1 person likes this

I typically read fantasy, science fiction, and erotica. 

Fantasy:

Dragonlance Saga

The Griffin Mage 

Inheritance Series [Eragon]

Science Fiction:

The Saga of Seven Suns [Anything by Kevin Anderson, really] 

Battlefield Earth

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I also recommend the Gorean Saga; it is classified as Science Fiction, but it can also be classified as erotica, simply because of the nature of the planet, Gor. I've read about the first 8 or 9 novels so far, and they're pretty good. They don't really go into all that descriptive detail as far as the erotic nature is concerned, but it IS often implied that these events DO happen. The novels are fairly short, but there's like 30 of them, so that ought to keep you busy. 

2 people like this

Have you started the Dresden Files yet?

Not yet, can't remember why not, I forget if you or someone else recommended that to me before.

I typically read fantasy, science fiction, and erotica. 

Fantasy:

Dragonlance Saga

The Griffin Mage 

Inheritance Series [Eragon]

Science Fiction:

The Saga of Seven Suns [Anything by Kevin Anderson, really] 

Battlefield Earth

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I also recommend the Gorean Saga; it is classified as Science Fiction, but it can also be classified as erotica, simply because of the nature of the planet, Gor. I've read about the first 8 or 9 novels so far, and they're pretty good. They don't really go into all that descriptive detail as far as the erotic nature is concerned, but it IS often implied that these events DO happen. The novels are fairly short, but there's like 30 of them, so that ought to keep you busy. 

Thanks, will check some of that out

The Last Wish, the first of the Witcher Novels.  The second game is what got me into it.  It goes into detail at things that're only hinted at in the games.  The others are decent too.  

The Book of Angels, just done really well all around, the research & writing was well done, & the art, my god.  You don't have to be "religious-y" to like the content.  This is the only non fantasy or sci-fi book on this list.  

I echo Ladypheonix74 in recommending the Dragonlace saga.  That original trilogy is so worth the read.  

Sci-fi

The Thrawn trilogy.  The first of the current Star Wars Novels.  

Splinter of the Minds Eye.  The first Star Wars novel ever, if you can find it you'll adore it.  

Shadows of the Empire, the only Star Wars novel to have it's own soundtrack.  

Graphic Novels

The Watchmen, compare it to the movie.  

The Killing Joke,  Heath Ledger reportedly based his Joker primarily off the Joker in this story.  I think this is true, the parallels are just too many to ignore.

Crisis on Infinite Earths,  the first crossover ever done in comicdom.  It's also the movie I always wished DC would make aside from the Watchmen flick.  

2 people like this

The Last Wish, the first of the Witcher Novels.  The second game is what got me into it.  It goes into detail at things that're only hinted at in the games.  The others are decent too.  

The Book of Angels, just done really well all around, the research & writing was well done, & the art, my god.  You don't have to be "religious-y" to like the content.  This is the only non fantasy or sci-fi book on this list.  

I echo Ladypheonix74 in recommending the Dragonlace saga.  That original trilogy is so worth the read.  

Sci-fi

The Thrawn trilogy.  The first of the current Star Wars Novels.  

Splinter of the Minds Eye.  The first Star Wars novel ever, if you can find it you'll adore it.  

Shadows of the Empire, the only Star Wars novel to have it's own soundtrack.  

Graphic Novels

The Watchmen, compare it to the movie.  

The Killing Joke,  Heath Ledger reportedly based his Joker primarily off the Joker in this story.  I think this is true, the parallels are just too many to ignore.

Crisis on Infinite Earths,  the first crossover ever done in comicdom.  It's also the move I always wished DC would make aside from the Watchmen flick.  

Thanks, looks like lots of good reads in there!