FineAgedTequila

Book recommendation time!

215 posts in this topic

The site has tags called "spoiler" for such reasons...

Was that so hard?

smh

What's a spoiler?

The site has tags called "spoiler" for such reasons...

Was that so hard?

smh

What's a spoiler?

Look in the mirror.

DEF start with Dark Elf before reading/listening to Icewind Dale.

Don't worry about those silly spoilers.  They haven't read as far into the series as I have and have NO CLUE what they're talking about.

DEF start with Dark Elf before reading/listening to Icewind Dale.

Don't worry about those silly spoilers.  They haven't read as far into the series as I have and have NO CLUE what they're talking about.

the last series R.A wrote is what we are talking about. bout 900 books after the dark elf series lol 

I def recommended these two books by Chris J. Randolf very awesome books bout the invasion of earth with living ships that are highly advanced...Stars Rain Down is the 1st book

post-1471-0-21191200-1389241111_thumb.jp

post-1471-0-77196400-1389241131_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

...bout the invasion of earth with living ships that are highly advanced...

Mass Effect? OK j/k

Speaking of games, I once read a trilogy from the WarCraft world that was surprisingly good.

Warcraft: War of the Ancients by Richard Knaak

I didn't read all the recommendations but FAT and I seem to have the same taste in books. Here are a few that come to mind:

Steelheart

Wool (the series)

Quarter Share, Half Share, Full Share, etc - very good space travel, light reading

1 person likes this

I didn't read all the recommendations but FAT and I seem to have the same taste in books. Here are a few that come to mind:

Steelheart

Wool (the series)

Quarter Share, Half Share, Full Share, etc - very good space travel, light reading

Almost halfway through the first book of Wool thanks to this recommendation. Great story! Though some of the stuff is fairly predictable, I'm totally intrigued in the story still as I find the characters very well developed.

For many years growing up reading was one of the only forms of entertainment available to me. I used to read voraciously. This list has many great suggestions in it so hopefully my tastes aren't too pedestrian. Also ignore formatting errors. Posting from my phone.

The belgaried. Epic fantasy series.

Any of the Weiss and Hickman dragonlance books.

Agree with the suggestions for the drizzt books, but I still think his nemesis is cooler than he is.

Magic kingdom for sale.

Let the right one in. They made more than one movie based on this one but neither came close to the creepy of the book.

Incarnations of immortality series. I've seen a lot of internet hate thrown at pierce Anthony but I found that series highly entertaining and have read it multiple times.

If/when you do graphic novels: watchmen, preacher, and sandman are all fanfuckingtastic.

2 people like this

Just found this thread while watching concrete dry today at work.

Some books I found really great that were not listed above:

Vampire Earth Series by E.E. Knight - 11 books I think

The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin...first two books of a promised trilogy - awesome reads about an apocalyptic future with vampires 

The Chronicles of  Galen Sword- by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens...3 books so far, but probably out of print. They also wrote Icefire which is a super cool tale set in present day that is incredibly interesting.

This is all I could think of without seeing my bookcases.

I'm about 3/4's of the way though American Gods by Neil Gaiman at the moment. Unless the ending shits the bed (and I can't see that happening as everything is currently hitting the fan where I am in the story)  this is one of the best books I've ever read!.  

http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0380789035

^^^

seconded. read that after finishing the sandman comics and wanting to read more by him. neverwhere, also by him, is great too. completely different than american gods, or sandman. 

I'm about 3/4's of the way though American Gods by Neil Gaiman at the moment. Unless the ending shits the bed (and I can't see that happening as everything is currently hitting the fan where I am in the story)  this is one of the best books I've ever read!.  

^^^

seconded. read that after finishing the sandman comics and wanting to read more by him. neverwhere, also by him, is great too. completely different than american gods, or sandman. 

Thanks, I'll be picking this up after I'm done with my current book.

Speaking of which, I picked up Vampirates on clearance at B&N. Good teen/YA book, nothing great but very interesting concept. I enjoyed it and recommend it when you're looking for some lighter literature.

Thanks to whoever recommended Little Brother.... just finished it and it was an absolutely amazing book

For many years growing up reading was one of the only forms of entertainment available to me. I used to read voraciously. This list has many great suggestions in it so hopefully my tastes aren't too pedestrian. Also ignore formatting errors. Posting from my phone.

Agree with the suggestions for the drizzt books, but I still think his nemesis is cooler than he is.

Magic kingdom for sale.

Let the right one in. They made more than one movie based on this one but neither came close to the creepy of the book.

Incarnations of immortality series. I've seen a lot of internet hate thrown at pierce Anthony but I found that series highly entertaining and have read it multiple times.

If/when you do graphic novels: watchmen, preacher, and sandman are all fanfuckingtastic.

I read the Belgariad years ago I think. Is that the one where they use some secret sign language? Great series.

I got the audiobook of On A Pale Horse recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a cool mix of theology, fantasy, and sci-fi all in one. Highly recommended.

Magic kingdom for sale.

I read the Belgariad years ago I think. Is that the one where they use some secret sign language? Great series.

I got the audiobook of On A Pale Horse recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a cool mix of theology, fantasy, and sci-fi all in one. Highly recommended.

The Belgariad Series by David Eddings was once my favorite of all series.  

1 person likes this

I really liked the Belgariad Series as well but unfortunately the majority of Eddings' books are not on available on kindle.  At some point I will come back to this thread with my suggestions.  I have read a few things that FAT has suggested to me but so far just MEH:P  Black Company didn't do it for me.

Her are a few that I've enjoyed the last couple years:

Redshirts - John Scalzi

Jim Butcher - Dresden files (series)

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

Hugh Howey - Wool, Shift, Dust (series); Half Way Home; Sand

Jim Bernheimer - Condfessions of a D-List Supervillian

Containment - Chris Cantrell

Brent Weeks - The Black Prism; The Way of Shadows

I've read and heard good things about Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" so I'll probably get that when I finish my current reading list.

2 more from the graphics novel category. 

Rat Queens.  If Venture Bros is Johnny Quest on acid, then Rat Queens is D&D on acid.  Volume 1 from issues 1-5 is out.  My hope is that CNs Adult Swim takes notice & makes it into an animated series, it'd fit like a glove there.  Those of us who are or were tabletop RPGers will get just about all the inside jokes too. 

Saga.  The more adult of the 2.  So far there's 3 volumes.  What if Romeo & Juliet were in space, & what if they'd gotten married, becoming fugitives in the process & had a child while the war between their respective families was still going on?   That description is probably simplifying it more then it actually is, but it should give you a broad idea.  

A few years ago I read "The Strain" by Del Torro. There is more than one book. Little did I know they'd make a TV show out of it.

Half way through Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher...

Saw the film first but I'm enjoying the book so much better...

so I finally got around to reading the last 100 pages or so last night and all I can say is this book is going up on my all time favorights list.  There are a few twists and oh shit moments at the end that I think I should have seen coming but didn't at all. Which made it even better to me. Highest possible recommendation. 

Also to anyone who has read this. How is Anansi Boys.  I picked it up at the same time I got American Gods and didnt even know it was about some of the same characters. I think I'll take a break and read something else before I read it though. Don't want to burn myself out on that universe all at once.

Thanks for all of the recommendations above. Just ordered 11 books thru the Amazon link based on them sounding like something I would like to read. I got American Gods, Wool series, Belgariad series, On a Pale Horse and Little Brother. Had never heard of any of these before this thread. Was going to order Stars Rain Down, but the second book Long Fall is not in print and only available in Kindle version. Maybe I will find it somewhere.

1 person likes this