Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
FineAgedTequila

Book recommendation time!

Thanks for all of the recommendations above. Just ordered 11 books thru the Amazon link based on them sounding like something I would like to read. I got American Gods, Wool series, Belgariad series, On a Pale Horse and Little Brother. Had never heard of any of these before this thread. Was going to order Stars Rain Down, but the second book Long Fall is not in print and only available in Kindle version. Maybe I will find it somewhere.

Wait people still read paper books?

I actually went to the library last month and the 80 year old librarian showed me that I can download books onto my tablet through kindle as a library rental and don't have to buy it. 

Check it out.  Ours goes through something called Overdrive.  It is awesome.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the recommendations above. Just ordered 11 books thru the Amazon link based on them sounding like something I would like to read. I got American Gods, Wool series, Belgariad series, On a Pale Horse and Little Brother. Had never heard of any of these before this thread. Was going to order Stars Rain Down, but the second book Long Fall is not in print and only available in Kindle version. Maybe I will find it somewhere.

I read paper books at times

I read paper books at times

Ditto, if I drop 'em who cares.  Unlike a Kindle, if I drop it......

If you grew up in the 1980's you might remember a really cool cartoon/anime show called Robotech.

Well they did a novelization of the series and an expanded series of tales all written under the name Jack McKinney(which is actually 2 more famous authors Brian Daley and Jim Luceno who both worked on lots of Star Wars material!)

Really good sci fi reading in the vein of DUNE,Star Wars,Starship Troopers.

There are 21 books! Good stuff if you like Sci Fi.

If you grew up in the 1980's you might remember a really cool cartoon/anime show called Robotech.

Well they did a novelization of the series and an expanded series of tales all written under the name Jack McKinney(which is actually 2 more famous authors Brian Daley and Jim Luceno who both worked on lots of Star Wars material!)......

I agree, Roys death was even more tragic in the books, & more heroic.  

• Like 1

Well they did a novelization of the series and an expanded series of tales all written under the name Jack McKinney(which is actually 2 more famous authors Brian Daley and Jim Luceno who both worked on lots of Star Wars material!)......

I agree, Roys death was even more tragic in the books, & more heroic.  

Spoiler! Now I don't have to read them. ;)

I just finished Shift, the second book of the Silo series. I enjoyed how the stories from different timelines played into the next chapter of a different timeline. The second book was much better than the first so I'm looking forward to the next one for sure.

P4man, I just finished Shift last night and started the last one, Dust. Have some suspicions on how this is going to turn out at the end now.

• Like 1

I have been reading a series of books written by Andrew Peterson featuring a lead character that is an ex-CIA, military sniper named Nathan McBride.  The first in the series is titled, duh, First to Kill.  Next was Option to Kill.  Today I started on Forced to Kill.  I have them as kindle ebooks and they only cost $2 or $3 each.

• Like 1

P4man, I just finished Shift last night and started the last one, Dust. Have some suspicions on how this is going to turn out at the end now.

My guess is...

40 survived and have already made it outside the perimeter so the bombs dropped in Shift were too late.

p4man, see below for my guess as to what happens in last book Dust.

My guess is that the bombs they dropped in shift only affected the area around Georgia where all 50 silos are and in the intervening years, the world has put up some type of dome around the fallout area. THis is based on the blue sky that Donald saw from the drone run.

I really enjoyed that group of books. 

I'm looking for something new now, nothing is grabbing my attention.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is an amazing start to an amazing series, The First Law. I haven't finished the third one.

I grabbed a Steven King book the last time I was in the airport, and finished it on the plane, I couldn't put it down. It was called Joyland, 

Baenebooks.com has a bunchaton o' free sci-fi and fantasy e-books. Often the first two or three of a series.

It clued me into more than a few authors and gave me scads o' readin' fun.

I started reading Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin, however, I haven't ordered the fourth book yet. In the meantime, I just finished World War Z, and I'll be reading Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks next. I would also recommend The Clockwork Vampires. I do not remember the author, however, there is graphic content in this novel. This author is descriptive, and brutal which, in my humble opinion, adds a sense of realism and honesty to how things would really occur, considering the circumstances. 

p4man, see below for my guess as to what happens in last book Dust.

My guess is that the bombs they dropped in shift only affected the area around Georgia where all 50 silos are and in the intervening years, the world has put up some type of dome around the fallout area. THis is based on the blue sky that Donald saw from the drone run.

Finished the third yesterday. I thought it was a satisfying end, but left some unanswered questions for me that leave some plot holes. It felt like the end was rushed.

However, overall this was a great series that I really enjoyed and totally recommend them.

Any users of goodreads.com on here? Figure a bunch of us older gaming types enjoy similar types of books. And I could use some more recommendations. I've knocked out some 40+ books this year with my commuting.

My profile on there is noweat

noweat, never heard of this site before, but I will look into it.

Edit: Signed up on goodreads.com and just spent 15 minutes doing the recommendations for the hundred or so books I have ordered on Amazon in the last few years. Hopefully, I will get some recommendations there as well as my unread shelf is about empty.

Just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King...

Was pretty stellar and different then most his work as it was more of a crime drama...

No real scares or supernatural type of stuff...

And apparently will be a trilogy of books...

• Like 1

Romijn, I liked Mr. Mercedes a lot. King's best book in a while though was Dr. Sleep as that seemed to me to be vintage King a la the Stand and It.