Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
Wyvern13

Destiny Beta - Thoughts (article)

FYI - I love this thread! I'm going to push it to the front page with the Reviews!

Keep it coming guys :)

Okay, officially 16 hours into the beta. All level 8 character with a pretty built up armory on each character. Here are a few cool tips/trick I have learned and done that could be beneficial to you all. Things you may not know.

- There are loot boxes where you can collect rare weapons/gear. In the beta, there are 5 Gold Loot Boxes. If you find all 5, you get a new (and slightly better) Sparrow! It is also a different color from the default, but what I noticed is the color depends on the class you find all of them in. The Titan gave me a Gold one while the Warlock gave me purple. (If you go backwards in the sparrow, it makes a beeping sound)

- Find all 20 Dead Ghosts in the beta and you get a lot of Grimoire points, as well as bragging right as the score stays placed on your in game profile. Also, you get more cards to check out in the Destiny app/website.

- The enemies with [??] in red are level 20 enemies and can't be dealt any damage. You won't see them in regular play, but there are a few unlocked areas in the beta where you can stumble upon a city you shouldn't be in, and will die very quickly from these enemies.

- If you shoot or explode your Sparrow , it will shoot out rockets and explode.

- You can play soccer in the Tower if you can find the soccer ball on the ground. Also, if you jump on top of the building to the left right after entering the tower, you can have someone "activate fan" and get flown into the air.

- In the tower, directly ahead to the right are Vault Pods. You can enter them, press pause and store your stuff in there. These items can then be used by all of your characters. Just put something in there, switch characters and take it out.

- HIGHLY recommend being a level 8 and having 3 people before playing the last missions Devils Layer. It takes a while as you have 2 bosses to defeat, and it's not easy!

- Play the beta on Saturday at 2pm and an event will happens across all servers to take part in. Doing so will grant you an emblem for the retail version of the game.

- Here is a guide on how to allow anyone to join your Fireteam without an invite

I will post more as I remember.

Edited by Toni
  • Like 2

Okay, officially 16 hours into the beta. All level 8 character with a pretty built up armory on each character. Here are a few cool tips/trick I have learned and done that could be beneficial to you all. Things you may not know.

- There are loot boxes where you can collect rare weapons/gear. In the beta, there are 5 Gold Loot Boxes. If you find all 5, you get a new (and slightly better) Sparrow! It is also a different color from the default, but what I noticed is the color depends on the class you find all of them in. The Titan gave me a Gold one while the Warlock gave me purple. (If you go backwards in the sparrow, it makes a beeping sound)

- Find all 20 Dead Ghosts in the beta and you get a lot of Grimoire points, as well as bragging right as the score stays placed on your in game profile. Also, you get more cards to check out in the Destiny app/website.

- The enemies with [??] in red are level 20 enemies and can't be dealt any damage. You won't see them in regular play, but there are a few unlocked areas in the beta where you can stumble upon a city you shouldn't be in, and will die very quickly from these enemies.

- If you shoot or explode your Sparrow , it will shoot out rockets and explode.

- You can play soccer in the Tower if you can find the soccer ball on the ground. Also, if you jump on top of the building to the left right after entering the tower, you can have someone "activate fan" and get flown into the air.

- In the tower, directly ahead to the right are Vault Pods. You can enter them, press pause and store your stuff in there. These items can then be used by all of your characters. Just put something in there, switch characters and take it out.

- HIGHLY recommend being a level 8 and having 3 people before playing the last missions Devils Layer. It takes a while as you have 2 bosses to defeat, and it's not easy!

- Play the beta on Saturday at 2pm and an event will happens across all servers to take part in. Doing so will grant you an emblem for the retail version of the game.

- Here is a guide on how to allow anyone to join your Fireteam without an invite

I will post more as I remember.

Man, that is good info there!  I dont get the emblems right now, you can buy them but where do you see them on character? 

Man, that is good info there!  I dont get the emblems right now, you can buy them but where do you see them on character? 

From my understanding they do not appear on your character. Once you unlock or purchase the new Sparrow, it will appear on there. Other than that, it's only visible within your characters profile in the game. So when you are looking at who is in your Fireteam, who is in the server, checking out someones stats or playing pvp game types, it will be visible next to your name.

It's growing on me, but I'm fearing that if I buy it I'm going to be in the minority wanting to play competitive all the time and not giving a rats ass about the story/co-op.

so i said this when i joined, im crazy new to the multiplayer aspects of games.  i always went solo.

I can figure out how to invite someone to a fireteam, but no idea if they actually tried to join or not.  and if there is someone with an opening on their team, how do i join?

It's growing on me, but I'm fearing that if I buy it I'm going to be in the minority wanting to play competitive all the time and not giving a rats ass about the story/co-op.

I'm fearing that I'll be in the other camp if I do pick it up: always wanting to play co-op, but being forced into PvP once the novelty dies down.

so i said this when i joined, im crazy new to the multiplayer aspects of games. i always went solo.

I can figure out how to invite someone to a fireteam, but no idea if they actually tried to join or not. and if there is someone with an opening on their team, how do i join?

I joined a fireteam last night by joining them from my Xbox friends list. I also learned not to unsnap party chat or you lose the chat.

so i said this when i joined, im crazy new to the multiplayer aspects of games. i always went solo.

I can figure out how to invite someone to a fireteam, but no idea if they actually tried to join or not. and if there is someone with an opening on their team, how do i join?

I joined a fireteam last night by joining them from my Xbox friends list. I also learned not to unsnap party chat or you lose the chat.

The invite pops up like a game invite if you're invited. And you can join someone usually unless they're at the tower and it's at max size.

If you get into party chat first then start Destiny is fine. Just don't be in Destiny and then join the party. Really weird bug. Glad they found it now than at launch.

Yeah I think I may need to purge my friends list of all co-op heavy people if I buy this game. I absolutely hate having to beg people to play competitive, the competitive juices flowing through your veins should make co-op repulsive just like they do for me :)

I played the PVP for a minute and hated it. It had everything I hated about Halo MP and none of the redeeming values. Just like in Halo, you'd shoot a clip into someone, they're undamaged & they blow you away with a couple of shots while bouncing. I'll pass on the PVP unless there's a full TAG group.

Titanfall's about the best damn MP I've ever played so if I hanker MP I'll jump on that.

I played the PVP for a minute and hated it. It had everything I hated about Halo MP and none of the redeeming values. Just like in Halo, you'd shoot a clip into someone, they're undamaged & they blow you away with a couple of shots while bouncing. I'll pass on the PVP unless there's a full TAG group.

Titanfall's about the best damn MP I've ever played so if I hanker MP I'll jump on that.

I played one match and I found the same thing... put a whole clip into someone and then they 1 shot me and i'm dead.  Maybe i'm doing it wrong?

Playing on the 360 here. I managed to get through the tutorial level and ended up at the Hub area (The Tower). Interesting so far. Not sure if I want to commit to this game just yet.

I shouldn't have expected much, but I thought the graphics on the 360 were very poor. Everything seemed really blurry and jaggy. 

For the record, after spending more time with the game, I will be keeping my Limited Edition pre-order. I like the game and am interested in exploring the universe Bungie has crafted. I expect that I will only rarely do the PVP.

I played a hell of a lot of WoW but never had very good gear because I couldn't do the big raids (back in the day before they nerfed a lot of it). I always felt behind. With Destiny, the loot is out there. You can get gear also from saving up faction & PVP points.

A few tips -

• Do the free explore! Look for the world events - if you get a gold emblem on it there are daily rewards. This is also where the typical quests occur.
  • Some of the green items have the ability to level up. It's sweet to be killing mobs & then your gun unlocks a better sight or quicker reload, etc. Makes it harder to give up items for just a couple of extra points of damage/armor.
  • It can be hard to see the loot - the little white or green hexagonal orbs don't stand out. If you miss them from the end of a world event or mission, they do get mailed to you.
  • Anything you see on the ground is for you. Other folks can't see it.
  • Loot boxes are proximity based - I was away from Spark last night & saw a chest. I was waiting to see if he would come to me, but a pug ran in and got the box. I went over and was able to loot it (but not Spark as he was too far away).
  • Collect the seaweed-looking spinmetal. Like the loot boxes, it is proximity based so anyone in fireteam or nearby can also loot.
  • At Level 6, take bounties. They aren't "kill so-and-so" - more like Kill 25 Warlocks in PVP or Get 100 Precision Kills (headshoots?). You get XP and Glimmer for completing them.

I've seen a few people complain about the locations all looking the same. The only map we can explore right now is the Cosmodrome. While you spend time moving around in the area, you're going back over the same spots over & over again. It's a pretty homogeneous area so I understand the complaint. It's like we're only seeing one zone in Azeroth. I doubt that any of the areas would have big differences within the zone (buildings A, B & C will all look similar, but each zone has it's own architectural & environmental aesthetics). However, I would think that each zone will be different. It might've been good if Bungie had allowed us to play in more than one zone.

One of the odd things with the free explore is that the quests often occur in another part of the zone. Also, you can only have one quest active at a time.

• Like 2

I played one match and I found the same thing... put a whole clip into someone and then they 1 shot me and i'm dead.  Maybe i'm doing it wrong?
I had this issue in a couple matches last night, after switching back to the M4 looking auto rifle, I found it much easier to take ppl out. The burst fire rifle and the DMR were the ones giving me a lot of trouble.

I can see wanting to play the story/co-op stuff if you NEED to in order to get new weapons/abilities for use in MP, but I'd much rather play a game that allows you to do that in a competitive format.

I played the beginning portion up to where you reach the tower on both ps4 and xbox one last night.  Both looked great, but the gamma settings were a little wonky on the ps4 version.  When I started the ps4, I had to set the gamma setting down to 2, but immediately after the gameplay started, everything on screen was way too dark.  After the cutscene finished, I bumped the gamma up to 5 and it all looked normal again.  On xbox one, attached to the same TV, I had to set the gamma on 3, and it looked great the entire time.  Kinda weird the two systems are so different in that regard considering how similar the architecture of both systems are.

I played the ps4 with a hunter and the xbox one with a warlock.  The hunter was definitely more fun for me as he kicked ass when in melee range and could take a few hits without getting his health into the red.  The warlock felt wimpy, and the shock attack didn't seem very effective.  In addition, the hunter got a sniper rifle as secondary weapon while warlock got a shotgun.  The sniper rifle is one shot kill from range while the shotgun felt more like I was tossing insults at the bad guys instead of buckshot.

I was doubtful about this game, but after playing it, I think it is going to be fun!

After reading previews and stuff over the past couple months, I was considering cancelling my pre-order. I wasn't even sure if I'd play the beta, but I decided to load it on Wednesday.

A few minutes into the game, I was astounded by how great it looked (on Xbox One). The models have great texture, the lighting looks good, the controls are very intuitive (thanks to Halo), and it feels very smooth. It plays like Halo, even the enemy AI behaves the same way, but I'm okay with that. It's a fun shooter, with a lot of stuff to explore.

After a couple hours, I'm really hooked on it. I've only played solo and it was still a lot of fun. I'm sure once the Fireteam co-ops come into play, it'll be a whole new level of fun.

I like the MMOG aspects, such as the special public events, or just being able to rez someone and then help them clear the group of mobs. The skill trees are also nice, but it was very linear, as I didn't get to level high enough to see a diversity. I like that some weapons can level up new abilities, such as increased damage or reduced reload time. Good stuff so far.

I played the warlock and thought it was really cool. It was basically run and gun, get up close and bam! The punch of death is a blast. I hope to play the other classes before the beta ends tomorrow.

Looks great, fun to play, lots of features!

• Like 2

This game went from a rental to a day one buy with one feature discovered last night. The ability to upload game chat to twitch using the in game chat setting to play chat through speakers. That and it's a hell of a lot of fun when playing with a group of friends.

Played one toon to 8, liked it.  I am a little burnt on betas, so didn't dig in a ton. 

I enjoy the pvp, but it seems very weapon intensive.  That dude with the bad ass mofo hand cannon of immediate death was destroying my team.  Didn't worry me, because I wasn't going to grind for gear in a beta.  

I'll be spending quite a bit of time on this on ps4.  

i played another 4-6 hours this weekend and had a blast when the explore map opened up on the cosmodrone.  I really am digging this game, but finding it impossible to get coop going.  i have invited several people to fireteams, even ones that i am obviously working with (taking down battle walker).

anyway, i have high hopes for this game.  

question, will our character carry over to full retail or do we have to play thru this again?

question, will our character carry over to full retail or do we have to play thru this again?

Everything after beta will be wiped and you start fresh once it goes live.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.