Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
Wyvern13

Destiny Beta - Thoughts (article)

Starting a thread for us to list our Destiny beta thoughts, reviews, gripes & tips.

To get the ball rolling, I'll admit that I am currently underwhelmed with the game. The graphics look alright - reminds me very much of Mass Effect series with a little more detail. Maybe there's gorgeous sunsets & vistas on the horizon, but those aren't things I'm used to looking for so I don't bother to look more than in front of me. Cluttering the horizon with pretty pictures shouldn't be what passes for next gen graphics.

I made it through the initial mission and back to the cosmodrome to get the warp drive so maybe I haven't seen enough of the game.

• Movement is slow even when sprinting (Titanfall with it's large vertical component to the game has spoiled me so I won't bitch about not being able to parkour).
  • Number of enemies after the initial run to the Tower is very low. I heard that they cut the spawning of enemies down from the alpha so maybe they went too far the other way.
  • Again, maybe this is because I haven't moved past the n00b area, but noting a lack of quests.
  • Interviews & coverage talked about there being things to uncover & explore. Where are these?
  • What's the point of the 3 races? There's no advantage/disadvantage and no real toon differences other than the hair when I'm running around in the Tower.
  • I need to get used to having to melee with RB
Many of the gaming media talked about this game having a just-one-more-minute feel to them. I was started to feel bored after about an hour. The lack of quests or drive to go to the next zone didn't make me want to keep playing.

I will be fair to the game and give the beta more playing time. Maybe things improve once I'm past the n00b area. In contrast top this beta, Titanfall's beta grabbed me in the first hour & convinced me that I needed to get the game and was going to love it. The Destiny beta has only got me contemplating canceling my pre-order.

Click here to view the article

• Like 1

I am enjoying this more than I thought I would. I feared it would be too much like Borderlands. Glad that it is not. Combat matters! Strategy matters. Loot is not everywhere. The drops actually mean something and the co-op is really really fun. Playing on 360 and its a purdy game.

I'm enjoying the game. It's fun with a group. You do need to go past the first mission. The specials of the three classes is when it differs. Those don't come into effect until like level 3 when...like for the Hunter the golden gun...becomes available.

Also you can change the button layout. Green thumb changes the melee to clicking on the right thumbstick. That's what I use.

Thanks - I want to like the game & am very aware that I need to spend more than an hour with it.

I always was a bit tired & frustrated with other things last night, so maybe that wasn't the best time to give it a go...

also the beta is not 1080p but final will, I played the alpha of this on PS4 and it looked fantastic...

but I am not the biggest open world game like this, borderlands sure because of all the funny shit and cursing... 

I only played a little bit of it this morning. I made it to the home city or whatever they call it in the game. I believe I'm a level 2 hunter. I explored the required places there and then had to stop playing.

So far the game feels nice. It does feel kind of like halo, only better in my opinion. That opinion could change very quickly once I get into multiplayer. No idea how or what that involves yet. The graphics look pretty good, especially for a "beta". The movements are very fluid and they feel natural and the controls so far make sense. I haven't done anything besides, move, shoot, zoom, grenade, reload, melee and switch between weapons though. I don't like when games controls get overly complicated but I'm not very far in and realize that can change the further in the game I get.

It is way too early in the beta for me to determine if I want to buy it yet. So far I like it better than the Titanfall beta so that is positive. 

• Like 1

Question:  Is this basically an open world adventure game with co-op?  Is there any head-to-head play, like TDM?

I have no idea.

Thanks.  ;)

Question:  Is this basically an open world adventure game with co-op?  Is there any head-to-head play, like TDM?

I have no idea.

Thanks.   :s1190:

Yes, there are actual pvp multiplayer gametypes.

I played this quite a bit last night and loved it. Was running co-op with a bunch of people. Got 2 of my characters to level 8 and one to level 5. Loving the weapons in this game and how you obtain them. Been a blast so far!

Edited by Toni

Question: Is this basically an open world adventure game with co-op? Is there any head-to-head play, like TDM?

There is competitive MP that unlocks at level 5. Right now the only one available in the beta is "control" which is 6v6 territories. Points A, B, C that needs to be taken. Traditional. It's fun. Having a full team will make that a lot better.

I enjoyed my hour or two with it last night.  I like the way it looks and I like how it plays.  It was cool running around and seeing other groups of players in the same area shooting stuff.  

I still don't quite understand how the skill trees work.  I guess you just unlock everything as you level up?  Or do you get to pick and choose (like in borderlands)?  I'm only level 4 so I'm not that far along.

Only played for about an hour or hour and a half last night, but I think I like where they're going with it. 

-As someone else mentioned, the drops actually means something.  In Borderlands I kind of ignored half the stuff because I was burnt out on looking and comparing.  If it wasn't Orange or better I wasn't interested.

-There are open areas to explore, but I haven't reached them yet, I imagine that's where you get the "one-more-minute" feel.  However, I didn't allow myself much time to look around the tower.  There were quite a few NPC's to interact with that I haven't yet.

-It appears solo play will be quite a bit more entertaining than Borderlands was.  Something about Borderlands to me just didn't feel worth it if you didn't have friends.  In Destiny, people show up around you doing the same things you're doing, but not quite in the MMO way, just one or two here and there.  Makes it feel more alive but not overcrowded and you don't have to keep soloing if you don't want to. 

-I was not wowed by the graphics as I expected.  It is pretty, but when more than one Critic brings up how good looking the game is, I was led to believe in more.  Perhaps I'm in the wrong area so far.  The dark areas do make a nice place to play with lighting against all the sci-fi bullets and explosions.

-I may be off track here, but I see this as a game where you can fairly easily reach top level (and keep changing/upgrading gear), but continue to raid and play.  Like some do in MMO's.  I believe this will alleviate the issue from Borderlands (in time), where one friend that plays a bunch more than you kills everything in sight before you bother shooting at anything at all.  Not contributing gets boring pretty quick.

Yes, level cap is 20 and they said you can do it if you really try in 2-3 hours. They don't want people to come in months after friends and be such a low level they don't want to play. They want the focus more so on level all the small stuff up after 20 rather than worrying about getting your character higher

I played about three hours worth tonight, I mean Peter Dinklage is taking to me the whole time so it is awesome!

Seriously though, reminds me a lot of several scifi situations, so far namely Oblivion in terms of setting.  I also feel like the big moon thing the darkness is after is going to not be as great as everyone thinks ala the ring in halo.

I do think its cool other players are running around in my map but no idea how to interact with those teams.

Looking forward to getting a fireteam together as well.  I plan on being on again tomorrow night for a few hours, hit me up, I am down for some explosions and guns.

I played about three hours worth tonight, I mean Peter Dinklage is taking to me the whole time so it is awesome!

Seriously though, reminds me a lot of several scifi situations, so far namely Oblivion in terms of setting.  I also feel like the big moon thing the darkness is after is going to not be as great as everyone thinks ala the ring in halo.

I do think its cool other players are running around in my map but no idea how to interact with those teams.

Looking forward to getting a fireteam together as well.  I plan on being on again tomorrow night for a few hours, hit me up, I am down for some explosions and guns.

The only real interaction is to invite them to your Fireteam. To do this, look at a player close to you, click the right analog stick and press start. This will bring up a menu with some options for that player.

You can also press start, then LB and it will show a list of every player in your server, as their ranks and character stats etc..

Will do. I send out invites every time I am about to play to get a squad going 

I will be on around 830 and would love to join in, shoot me a friend request.

Added you

• Like 1

Will do. I send out invites every time I am about to play to get a squad going 

I will be on around 830 and would love to join in, shoot me a friend request.

Added you

Cool, I will be on tonight and look for you.

Game is growing on me. Wolfrat, Volfan & I were a fireteam for a while. Getting used to the pace and the Sparrow helps get around once you unlock that. Volfan played it on the PS4 as well as Xbox One and he mentioned that the 1080p graphics make a difference.

I upped the look setting to 5 from the default 3 which helps with the slow aiming. Things to do picks up after the initial areas.

Also, I was a little concerned about the level limit being 20, but I've read that the thought is that everyone can get to the limit pretty quickly and then spends their time trying to improve their gear. Which means that they've had to imagine a wider end game (or rather make the end game much more than the usual in an MMO).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.