Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shoukori

Recommendations for a better connection XB1?

OK guys... since I came back from my trip, I've had really bad issues with my connection here at home (booted from Destiny, contacting servers, lots of animal errors, even issues with XB Party Chat which should be separate from Destiny itself). I am looking for some help. I am running on wifi, but the router is way on the other side of the house. It cannot be moved; it isn't actually mine and I can't just relocate it. It will be, uh, extremely difficult to run a hard wire ALL the way to it as well, because of the layout of the house. Right now I use a wifi extender to boost the signal. 

Any recommendations? I am decently tech savvy but not IT-level expert, so break the jargon down just a bit if it's really specialized :)

grrrr that will take a lot of maneuvering and a lot of wire. or maybe I can make a convincing argument to move the router. might be worth trying.

My opinion: You can run a cable or you can get a better wireless router or get a good wireless access point, which will need to be connected to the router via ethernet cable.

wireless repeaters are ok but they basically halve your connection. A good router or access point with a strong signal is preferred.

Do you own the house? Can you run cable through the walls/basement?

I will try to look at hardwire options.... I could maybe relocate the router to the center of the house if I make a plea about how my wifi is shitty in here....

I live here, it is actually my mother's house but not a rental or anything like that.

if its a no go on moving the router, you can try a "Ethernet over Power-line Converter" but I have not use one before but I have heard/read its better then going wireless

I am running on wifi, but the router is way on the other side of the house. It cannot be moved; it isn't actually mine and I can't just relocate it. It will be, uh, extremely difficult to run a hard wire ALL the way to it as well, because of the layout of the house. Right now I use a wifi extender to boost the signal. 

this is almost 100% your issue.  i would never recommend anyone ever run a wireless repeater.  under any circumstance.

is this a wireless router or wireless access point?

whats your budget to improve the situation?

yeah, I guess I figured hardwiring would be the solution I was just hoping maybe there was some option I hadn't thought of that you guys had....

thanks!

edit: my budget to do this? not exorbitant, but I'm willing to spend "a bit" on it.

i recently picked up an asus router and set it to act as the access point to my fios, turned off the ssid broadcasting on the fios router.  it is working well, not seeing crazy improvement on the xbox (never was an issue) but i am on other devices.  Range for sure...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QB1RPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i recently picked up an asus router and set it to act as the access point to my fios, turned off the ssid broadcasting on the fios router.  it is working well, not seeing crazy improvement on the xbox (never was an issue) but i am on other devices.  Range for sure...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QB1RPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a very good Router. I have it and it is awesome.

are you two using the wifi for your xbox or is it hardwired? I could do something like this and potentially even move it a bit closer physically to improve signal strength but hardwiring would still not be an option without having the cable company out to move cables around.

Just a heads up, but Asus routers have some security vulnerabilities that can be very severe.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/got-an-asus-router-someone-on-your-network-can-probably-hack-it/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/dear-asus-router-user-youve-been-pwned-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw/

if its a no go on moving the router, you can try a "Ethernet over Power-line Converter" but I have not use one before but I have heard/read its better then going wireless

I've heard these work quite well and I believe affordable too.  Don't have time to back that statement up right now though.

I've heard these work quite well and I believe affordable too.  Don't have time to back that statement up right now though.

This would be my suggestion as well. Any kind of physical connection > Wireless

Just too many things interfere with Wifi

yeah, I guess I figured hardwiring would be the solution I was just hoping maybe there was some option I hadn't thought of that you guys had....

thanks!

edit: my budget to do this? not exorbitant, but I'm willing to spend "a bit" on it.

give me a $$$$$ and i will make a recommendation.....  $100?  $300?

I don't think I can get the modem/router close enough to hardwire. I can probably get it close enough to ditch the repeater.

I would honestly suggest ditching the 'wireless'... try one of the over power line ethernet adapters. If it doesn't work for some reason, just return it and then you 'know' wireless is the only option :-/

I'll look into doing that

edit: anyone actually running an ethernet over power-line setup? this option looks extremely doable to me but I'm skeptical of it...

anyone running MoCA adapters? Our cable lines are newer and better than our home wiring.

hm, looking at the ethernet over powerline situation, but I think I will not get great throughput on that because the wiring here is old and confused (house originally built in the 20's, with multiple additions through the years), and it looks like when the signal has to travel a long ways through the breaker it slows it down rather a lot. I will brainstorm about moving my set-up to the bedroom which will be considerably closer to the router, only problem is that there is a brick fireplace between that room and the bedroom, that messes with the signal. But I can maybe move it near a window and get a better router with a strong signal, and just stay on wifi. Running any kind of cable between these rooms will be extremely labor intensive, therefore expensive. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I don't know, maybe $150? I feel like 300 is a bit much for me to stomach.

i would either go with this WAP, its 2.4ghz

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Access-UAP-LR-US-Version/dp/B005H4CDF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422378603&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquity

or, my real recommendation would be this one, this 2.4 + 5ghz, AC

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B00D80J2XU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1422378662&sr=8-7&keywords=ubiquity

these are BY FAR the best access points under a grand.

Lots of walls between the router & your device can degrade the signal. I was a big fan of Linksys but always having trouble with a solid connection. I noticed it most while trying to play video especially Vudu. I tried a repeater which didn't help.

My wife doesn't want the router in the living room so it's in the office. Proximity and the number of walls are two important issues. If you can move the router closer or reduce the number of walls, that might help the signal a lot. You might be able to accomplish that without changing rooms. I.e., if the router can switch the sides in it's room, that'd be 10' closer. If your house is a lot older (like stucco and lathe) that is probably worse for penetration than drywall. Hard angles can make the effective thickness of the walls act much thicker.

I then switched to the Asus RT-AC66U which was highly recommended from folks here (I think one of those was Superb who I see is recommending something else now). It's been a great router. I have multiple devices & the signal goes probably 30' through 3 walls at an angle for my living room. No problem with gaming or video playback either in the office or living room.

Older routers and all-in-ones (the WiFi cable modem toaster POS the cable company gives or rents to you) can't keep up.

Not all of us can completely wire the house (I agree with wife that the cables I do have are ugly) or want to buy the stuff you need to load with the 3rd party firmware to get the most out of. I want a reliable router that throughputs the video & gaming without me having to configure it 6 ways to Sunday. The RT-AC66U does that.

Here's a Lifehacker post about improving wifi signal. Simple one is for the antennas to be vertical.