• Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
Sign in to follow this  
Palamino

Ars Technica Review of Halo 5

Palamino    459

Ars Technica review of Halo 5 is available.

The good
  • New maneuvers add impressive speed and excitement to the tried-and-true Halo formula
  • Arena multiplayer blew us away with some of the best online-shooter duels we've played in years
  • Warzone's giant maps, boss battles, and mix of vehicular and on-foot combat are, in most ways, a satisfying answer to Battlefield-style combat
The bad
  • Confusing, unclear plot and bad character development jam up campaign mode
  • Too many campaign battles can be beaten by either dashing through or relying on easy respawns
  • Spartan Ops hasn't been replaced, leaving a gap in the game's co-op offerings
  • Warzone's reliance on cards, currency makes some card-spending situations feel really un-fun
The ugly
  • It's 2015. Why can't we have AI squadmates who don't dash to their deaths on a regular basis?

Verdict: Come for the multiplayer, stay for the multiplayer.

Primordial G00    1130

Starting to get a theme here. While I expected multiplayer to be what keeps me around anyway, I'm a little disappointed the campaign isn't a little better received.  I'll see for myself tonight and report back.

studknckl    987

Spartan ops not coming back sucks. There's no coop end game.

I liked Spartan Ops too. Would be nice if they came up with post launch DLC that scratched that itch. Since the entire campaign is 4 player co-op it would be interesting if they could repurpose campaign levels with different enemy spawns etc. to make something akin to the strikes in Destiny and put those up for co-op runs.  From what I am hearing about the level design they are large and have lots of room to explore outside of what is necessary for the story.  Sounds like this is perfect for remixed revisits.

• Like 1

Chuckles    920

It's entirely likely Sparton Ops has already been completed and will be released as s pay-for DLC.

Or as a free download so they can answer everyone's pleas and be seen as beneficent.

hybridhavoc    714

It's entirely likely Sparton Ops has already been completed and will be released as s pay-for DLC.

Or as a free download so they can answer everyone's pleas and be seen as beneficent.

Damn man, cynical enough? Sounds like no game company could possibly do right by you.

MadWik    2123

Yeah, the AI Spartans aren't awesome killing machines, but I don't want that if I'm playing solo. Basically, they'd do all the killing and I just run them along the path. The way it is, they kill a few things and provide comms chatter, then help me if I get downed.

I've only played the opening, but so far I'm loving it. I spent the weekend playing through H1 - H4, and my biggest gripe now is that the controls are a little different. I do like the new controls they added, though.

The game looks really good and it feels right.

After playing through all of the previous campaigns last weekend, I can say that those had some gaps, too. I think it's par for the course, and I'm hoping Halo Channel will help fill in the gaps.

hybridhavoc    714

my biggest gripe now is that the controls are a little different.

The game looks really good and it feels right.

These two things especially.  I'm having to really get used to the layout, as it's different from other shooters I've played recently.  I switched to bumper jumper because that's how I always used to play, but I now keep wanting to press in the thumbsticks to sprint and melee.  Damn you Titanfall.

But despite that, the game does feel right.  I feel rooted to the ground, not like i'm ice skating around.

Padraig26    107

The bad
  • Warzone's reliance on cards, currency makes some card-spending situations feel really un-fun

The biggest concern for me in reading the Ars review was the point about playing cards in multiplayer Warzone.  like cards to get a rocket launcher or to play a tank or something.

This really bummed me out. what i've always loved most about the halo games is that the multiplayer is relatively equal. in that there arent any tangible game boosts to someone who has played the game more. sure, they may know the map better and know the weapon respawn timing, but their *in game* abilities are not boosted above mine. they don't have wacky crazy better weapons either.

and now i fear i can look forward to always being obilitared by the person who has been grinding for hours and hours, to have the stack of primo cards or whatever, so that i will always be on the receiving end of a Mantis.

• Like 1

romanodog    2384

I don't think the cards thing is really that big of a deal.  First, it's only applicable in Warzone, not the regular arena.  Second, it's not like someone will be able to spawn in rocket launchers all game.  You can only use a certain amount of points and only once you advance to the level of the card in the warzone match.  I'm assuming you'll have a plethora of cards available to use just like in titanfall.

• Like 1

hybridhavoc    714

The bad

The biggest concern for me in reading the Ars review was the point about playing cards in multiplayer Warzone.  like cards to get a rocket launcher or to play a tank or something.

This really bummed me out. what i've always loved most about the halo games is that the multiplayer is relatively equal. in that there arent any tangible game boosts to someone who has played the game more. sure, they may know the map better and know the weapon respawn timing, but their *in game* abilities are not boosted above mine. they don't have wacky crazy better weapons either.

and now i fear i can look forward to always being obilitared by the person who has been grinding for hours and hours, to have the stack of primo cards or whatever, so that i will always be on the receiving end of a Mantis.

Even here I don't believe that should be the case.  From my understanding, each item that you can requisition has a REQ level associated with it.  You have to have built up to that REQ level during that individual match before you can requisition that item.  Everybody starts every match at REQ level 0.  And I think that once you REQ at that level, that's like another more intangible currency.

So it means that even for those guys with the primo cards, they'll have to hold out on calling out the big dogs.  And once they call out the big dogs, I think their REQ level diminishes again so that they can't just call tank after tank after tank.

• Like 1

Chuckles    920

Damn man, cynical enough? Sounds like no game company could possibly do right by you.

Not many can. Most are pulling very obvious money grabs and doing it with sub-par games. Then they have DLC that "add" to the base game, essentially making it into the game that was promised in the first place.

DLC's and expansions used to be expansions. They would expand on an already finished product in both gameplay and story.

Now they merely "fix" glaring omissions where it's usually found out that material existed before the game's release.

Right now the only developers and such that I trust are the smaller ones.

Stardock being my most favorites so far (even made good on a bad game by making the next one free).

DLC's and "extras" these days are merely content removed from the base game and sold as either new or much-needed "fixes".

MadWik    2123

DLC's and "extras" these days are merely content removed from the base game and sold as either new or much-needed "fixes".

Yep, pretty much. The publishers have learned that they can easily squeeze a few extra dollars out of consumers, so that they can stuff more money into their pockets.

If it's good stuff, I'll buy it. But usually I'm off to the next game by the time the good DLC content comes out.

Palamino    459

The last Halo game I played was Halo 2 on the original xbox, so I don't know much of the Halo universe's lore.  With that said, I kinda regret posting a link to the Ars Technica review because after playing thru the first 6 campaign missions, I think the campaign is great!

The reviewer was complaining that it's too easy to call for help and have a squad mate save you...uh, Mr. Reviewer, if you don't want their help, don't ask for it, then you can restart at the last checkpoint, moron.  For my money, I think the ability to call for help from your squad to prevent the need to restart at the last checkpoint is awesome and keeps the story moving.

The reviewer was complaining that you can just run past enemies instead of fighting them...uh, Mr. Reviewer, if you want to "play" the game, don't run past the enemies until they are dead.  However, if you are frustrated with difficulty of enemies or just want to get passed a checkpoint, the option to run thru to checkpoint is a nice option to have.

The visuals are good, but the sounds and music are great!  Coming from a Battlefield addict, I don't really like the alien weapons because it doesn't feel like they do enough damage per hit, but the combat is buttery smooth and the enemy AI movement keeps the action interesting.

My advice, ignore the lack luster campaign reviews and try the game for yourself!  I'm loving it!

• Like 3

hybridhavoc    714

The last Halo game I played was Halo 2 on the original xbox, so I don't know much of the Halo universe's lore.  With that said, I kinda regret posting a link to the Ars Technica review because after playing thru the first 6 campaign missions, I think the campaign is great!

The reviewer was complaining that it's too easy to call for help and have a squad mate save you...uh, Mr. Reviewer, if you don't want their help, don't ask for it, then you can restart at the last checkpoint, moron.  For my money, I think the ability to call for help from your squad to prevent the need to restart at the last checkpoint is awesome and keeps the story moving.

The reviewer was complaining that you can just run past enemies instead of fighting them...uh, Mr. Reviewer, if you want to "play" the game, don't run past the enemies until they are dead.  However, if you are frustrated with difficulty of enemies or just want to get passed a checkpoint, the option to run thru to checkpoint is a nice option to have.

The visuals are good, but the sounds and music are great!  Coming from a Battlefield addict, I don't really like the alien weapons because it doesn't feel like they do enough damage per hit, but the combat is buttery smooth and the enemy AI movement keeps the action interesting.

My advice, ignore the lack luster campaign reviews and try the game for yourself!  I'm loving it!

So the reviewer's complaints were really about how he/she chose to play the game, and not the game itself.  Go figure.

• Like 1

Hoptimus    1126

Yeah that is what I figured. I am guessing I will love it too. Will be playing it tonight.

MadWik    2123

• Confusing, unclear plot and bad character development jam up campaign mode

No idea how the reviewer can say this. It filled in a lot of the gaps from the previous games.

The campaign is excellent!

Primordial G00    1130

The bad

Have no fear.  REQ packs come easy just by playing the game.  In arena the changes are only cosmetic.  In Warzone you spawn weapons by using consumable cards, but your card isn't necessarily better than the next person's card.  Also you can't just drop in guns blazing with a scorpion tank.  Different tiers of weapons are unlocked as a Warzone match progresses, so everyone has to wait the same amount of time before they can call in whatever tier of weapon.  Here is a stupid yet oddly entertaining video explaining it completely.

Padraig26    107

The bad

Have no fear.  REQ packs come easy just by playing the game.  In arena the changes are only cosmetic.  In Warzone you spawn weapons by using consumable cards, but your card isn't necessarily better than the next person's card.  Also you can't just drop in guns blazing with a scorpion tank.  Different tiers of weapons are unlocked as a Warzone match progresses, so everyone has to wait the same amount of time before they can call in whatever tier of weapon.  Here is a stupid yet oddly entertaining video explaining it completely.

what an amusing AND useful video! thanks for posting. that clears up a lot of the initial concerns that i had in trying to understand the REQ system.

• Like 1