• Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
Sign in to follow this  
Relic

Halo 5 TAG reviews and thoughts

Relic    113

Thought this would be a good place to put our own thoughts about the game.

I am only near the end of the second mission, I am liking it.

Different and better in some respects.

What do you think?

hybridhavoc    714

I haven't yet played any of the campaign and only two matches of Team Slayer.  Not enough experience yet to really give a good review but I'll say this - I thoroughly enjoyed both of those matches.

MadWik    2123

So far I'm really liking it. It has fun, fast action. The fast dodge and double-jump climb are nice additions. The fast dodge has saved me several times. 

I'm enjoying the campaign. It's a lot different than the previous ones, since you're not the lone Spartan saving the galaxy. But, the squad makes things fun and provides a lot of useful dialogue. (I'm a Firefly fan and really like Nathan Fillion's character. It adds an additional cool factor for me.)  Using the squad assignments makes them much more effective. I can mark targets or locations and they're all over it. It makes it really easy to take out Hunters and Promethean Knights.

So far the story is good. I don't want to say anything to ruin it for anyone, though.

• Like 2

BDaddyK    1106

I've only played the first 2 campaign lvls myself also. So far the game has been really fun. The squad dynamic of the game is a great addition, as someone who has read a good bit of the expanded universe and really enjoys the Halo universe, it fits in more with what I envision of "Halo". Can't really comment on the plot yet as it's still to early to make a judgement, though it seems to be heading in the right direction. The artwork and graphics are top notch for the most part (some areas of ugliness in tex. quality), a rock solid 60fps in even in 4 payer co-op with tons of crazy sh!t going down, and fun level design so far. The sound is also really good, love that the "goofy" grunts are back, Elites have done great banter and, the Hunters now a creepy, menacing growl to them. I'm loving the sound of the SMG. It's also hard as hell on Legendary, granted the baddies throw more shit at you than an angry monkey, they also seek/flank you. I'm loving what I've been playing so far in SP. I've yet to try MP, though if it's as good as the beta (can't see it being worse) H5 will be a contender for GOTY for me :)

• Like 2

Wyvern13    445

Are there hordes & hordes of the Flood? Because you can never have too much of the Flood. /snark

Looking forward to giving this a go tonight.

• Like 1

MadWik    2123

BDaddyK's assessment is spot on! I really like this line:

The sound is also really good, love that the "goofy" grunts are back, Elites have done great banter and, the Hunters now a creepy, menacing growl to them.

I'm on Mission 9 now and my rating has increased with each mission.

Based on the advertisements, I was worried the Spartans vs Spartans thing would ruin Halo or wouldn't work for the campaign. But, I really love it now. You get deep into one story line, then switch gears and see it from another view. It helps to digest the story more when you can take your time and also see it from all angles.

I'm so hooked into the story now and the writers have done a good job. It's a good culmination of the previous Halos. BTW, be sure to listen to the talk between the Spartans. There are a lot of little details in there. I think some of the dialogue gets lost when you're fighting to survive in Legendary, but in Normal mode there's time to take it all in.

• Like 3

Palamino    459

I posted a brief review in another thread.

To summarize, ignore the lack luster campaign reviews and give the campaign a shot for yourself.  You won't be sorry because I am loving the game!

• Like 4

Wolfrat    526

To summarize, ignore the lack luster campaign reviews and give the campaign a shot for yourself.  You won't be sorry because I am loving the game!

Honestly, I am just expecting the campaign to be a boring grind I want to do co-op with my brother, and a couple of other friends (if folks are looking to join us).  If it is better than a boring grind, great!

BDaddyK    1106

Honestly, I am just expecting the campaign to be a boring grind I want to do co-op with my brother, and a couple of other friends (if folks are looking to join us).  If it is better than a boring grind, great!

It's definitely better than a boring grind :)

• Like 3

BDaddyK    1106

I finished the campaign, and now I'm like:

:shock:

:mtdew:    

Bring on 7!

I can't wait and don't wanna reach that point. I love me some Halo campaigns and, I hate when they're over (that first time) :(

Primordial G00    1130

Loving the game.  Any fan of previous Halo games is going to have a very high percentage chance of liking/loving this game.  I could go on for a while about everything they've done right, so I'll just sum it up by saying, while some parts may have some room for improvement, everything is done somewhere between right and excellent.

Except for one complaint, your friendly AI Spartans on Legendary Solo.  The enemy AI is suitable/excellent for a AAA experience, your friendly Spartans leave much to be desired though.  This is from a Legendary solo experience where they would just stand around and get killed most of the time.  They have very little vertical pathing skills and thus suck at getting to you on the perfect perch you found to snipe from, should you go down. 

Once I reached the Guardian Eternal, I really started to question if it's possible on solo.  My team goes down in about 10 seconds and I'm left trying to flank a superior entity by myself?!  It wasn't happening.  At all. 

I wonder if they actually did this on purpose to push people toward playing together though.  Why would the enemy AI be so much smarter than the Friendly AI in the very same game?  Taking a glance at the achievements, there is nothing about completing anything solo, but there are a few centered around coop. 

Padraig26    107

its really helpful to read these reviews. i am currently on the fence about getting H5, but can feel myself starting to go to the buy it side. [since i've owned every other halo game put out, including that starcraft-ian halo wars]

romanodog    2384

its really helpful to read these reviews. i am currently on the fence about getting H5, but can feel myself starting to go to the buy it side. [since i've owned every other halo game put out, including that starcraft-ian halo wars]

doooo it!

• Like 3

MadWik    2123

You're right, they do stand around a lot. Are you giving them specific targets? I got in the habit of pointing them at the priority targets and they'd manage to take it down pretty quick, or at least they'd start moving around and shooting stuff.

I only played solo on Normal, so they weren't absolutely necessary. There are some places that will seem damn near impossible on solo Legendary. I remember in some battles thinking, "Yeah, this is really going to suck on Legendary." 

All in all, I think your assessment is correct. They probably did it to encourage team play. If the Spartan AI was as good as the enemy AI, there would be very little challenge.

• Like 1

Primordial G00    1130

All in all, I think your assessment is correct. They probably did it to encourage team play. If the Spartan AI was as good as the enemy AI, there would be very little challenge.

I agree.  I don't want them to take out many unspecified targets and do the work for me, though in Legendary there are plenty for all, but I do wish they were better at taking cover or had a little more health themselves.  Sometimes they'll walk past 2 soldiers and a knight to try and get you up other times they'll sprint, most of the time neither works.  Mostly I just want them alive to give me the chance to flank or come get me when I go down.

The cure to this is have at least one human friend to play made easy with drop in drop out coop. Also, one excellent addition to the game is multiple save slots.  Finally!

I just had another thought about this.  I continued a "coop" campaign from the night before when I got stuck on Legendary solo.  It's possible, though it does seem unlikely, that if I were to choose "solo" campaign, the AI could skill up.  Otherwise, I'm not sure the reason for the two options other than maybe locking your friends out from drop-in-drop-out coop.

hybridhavoc    714

So after getting together with a good group of you guys last night and playing several hours of SWAT, Warzone, and a little bit of Team Slayer I have to say that I am highly pleased with this game.  I did have to forget my old Halo controller setup and try going with the default for a while.  The new mobility (sprinting, scrambling, bursting) and having played other shooters recently (namely Destiny and Titanfall), my hands were highly confused by my attempt to go oldschool.

SWAT was sort of the deciding factor for me though.  This has been one of my favorite gametypes ever since Halo 2, and when I popped into that playlist it just felt so right.

I've still only completed the first mission in campaign, and will continue to tackle it slowly whenever there's nobody else on.  I have always played Halo for PvP and it will continue to take priority for me.

• Like 1

BDaddyK    1106

So after getting together with a good group of you guys last night and playing several hours of SWAT, Warzone, and a little bit of Team Slayer I have to say that I am highly pleased with this game.  I did have to forget my old Halo controller setup and try going with the default for a while.  The new mobility (sprinting, scrambling, bursting) and having played other shooters recently (namely Destiny and Titanfall), my hands were highly confused by my attempt to go oldschool.

SWAT was sort of the deciding factor for me though.  This has been one of my favorite gametypes ever since Halo 2, and when I popped into that playlist it just felt so right.

I've still only completed the first mission in campaign, and will continue to tackle it slowly whenever there's nobody else on.  I have always played Halo for PvP and it will continue to take priority for me.

Yeah SWAT in H5 is awesome. It's one of my more enjoyable game types, though in H4 it just kinda felt off(?). It seems to be back to the SWAT I know and love :)

BDaddyK    1106

Loving the game.  Any fan of previous Halo games is going to have a very high percentage chance of liking/loving this game.  I could go on for a while about everything they've done right, so I'll just sum it up by saying, while some parts may have some room for improvement, everything is done somewhere between right and excellent.

Except for one complaint, your friendly AI Spartans on Legendary Solo.  The enemy AI is suitable/excellent for a AAA experience, your friendly Spartans leave much to be desired though.  This is from a Legendary solo experience where they would just stand around and get killed most of the time.  They have very little vertical pathing skills and thus suck at getting to you on the perfect perch you found to snipe from, should you go down. 

Once I reached the Guardian Eternal, I really started to question if it's possible on solo.  My team goes down in about 10 seconds and I'm left trying to flank a superior entity by myself?!  It wasn't happening.  At all. 

I wonder if they actually did this on purpose to push people toward playing together though.  Why would the enemy AI be so much smarter than the Friendly AI in the very same game?  Taking a glance at the achievements, there is nothing about completing anything solo, but there are a few centered around coop.

Holy hell is Legendary a beast in H5.We're playing through on co-op legendary and at times it's a nightmare, I can only imagine what some of the parts are going to be like solo. The enemie AI gets pretty aggressive and the amount of ordinance they throw at you can be ridiculous. Your squad does have some AI and patching issues for sure, when I played Heroic (which seemed easy compared to Leg.) a few times squad mates would get stuck round corners on stairs or reaching me anywhere above level ground, not to mention getting slaughtered be dashing head on to a commanded point.

MadWik    2123

Yeah, the part where you're down and call for help, then all the squad mates rush to you while running right past the enemy is pretty stupid. They never try to take down the immediate threat, who then proceeds to execute everyone.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm playing.

Warzone is fun. I like the large map and welcome it to Halo. My only slight complaint would be that the map is too large for the number of players. But, maybe once people focus on objectives instead of chasing K/D ratios, the action will spread out. 

Hoptimus    1126

I went Dark last night and played the first 4 campaign missions. I AM LOVING IT. The movement, the feel, the atmosphere, the music. So good.

• Like 2

BDaddyK    1106

G00 - there is a 100G achievement for beating the campaign solo on legendary

That's gonna be a b!tch of a cheevo. I played through the Guardian Eternal the other night and I can definitely see where Goo is coming from, on legendary that part seems like it'd be nigh impossible solo...

Frozpot    35

I agree.  I don't want them to take out many unspecified targets and do the work for me, though in Legendary there are plenty for all, but I do wish they were better at taking cover or had a little more health themselves.  Sometimes they'll walk past 2 soldiers and a knight to try and get you up other times they'll sprint, most of the time neither works.  Mostly I just want them alive to give me the chance to flank or come get me when I go down.

The cure to this is have at least one human friend to play made easy with drop in drop out coop. Also, one excellent addition to the game is multiple save slots.  Finally!

I just had another thought about this.  I continued a "coop" campaign from the night before when I got stuck on Legendary solo.  It's possible, though it does seem unlikely, that if I were to choose "solo" campaign, the AI could skill up.  Otherwise, I'm not sure the reason for the two options other than maybe locking your friends out from drop-in-drop-out coop.

I feel like you have to direct them if you want them to be effective. If you order them behind cover, they will take it and still pop out to fight. I did it to pull them back behind a large rock/structure, and was surprised when I saw them popping out. I even saw Buck crouching behind some lower rocks :D

I almost always order them to the opposite side of me, and to focus on the toughest baddies. Having them draw fire is great for wreaking havoc with a sword.  I'm playing on Heroic solo right now, and the Warden Eternal hasn't killed me one time- there is usually a power weapon laying around, and boost can get me out of danger, usually. Hunters on the other hand....

Is legendary that big a step up from Heroic? I've got to say, if the revive function wasn't there, this game would take a LOT longer to beat!