Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relic

Halo 5 TAG reviews and thoughts

That 100g is not worth the blood pressure of possible waking of family due to loud curse words.

Ha! ha! I got the warning from the wifey last night bout that...

...All in all, I think your assessment is correct. They probably did it to encourage team play. If the Spartan AI was as good as the enemy AI, there would be very little challenge.

I agree.  I don't want them to take out many unspecified targets and do the work for me, though in Legendary there are plenty for all, but I do wish they were better at taking cover or had a little more health themselves.  Sometimes they'll walk past 2 soldiers and a knight to try and get you up other times they'll sprint, most of the time neither works.  Mostly I just want them alive to give me the chance to flank or come get me when I go down.

The cure to this is have at least one human friend to play made easy with drop in drop out coop. Also, one excellent addition to the game is multiple save slots.  Finally!

I just had another thought about this.  I continued a "coop" campaign from the night before when I got stuck on Legendary solo.  It's possible, though it does seem unlikely, that if I were to choose "solo" campaign, the AI could skill up.  Otherwise, I'm not sure the reason for the two options other than maybe locking your friends out from drop-in-drop-out coop.

I feel like you have to direct them if you want them to be effective. If you order them behind cover, they will take it and still pop out to fight. I did it to pull them back behind a large rock/structure, and was surprised when I saw them popping out. I even saw Buck crouching behind some lower rocks :D

I almost always order them to the opposite side of me, and to focus on the toughest baddies. Having them draw fire is great for wreaking havoc with a sword.  I'm playing on Heroic solo right now, and the Warden Eternal hasn't killed me one time- there is usually a power weapon laying around, and boost can get me out of danger, usually. Hunters on the other hand....

Is legendary that big a step up from Heroic? I've got to say, if the revive function wasn't there, this game would take a LOT longer to beat!

Haven't played SP Legendary yet, just Heroic and it's a well in the park compared to co-op Legendary...

I have to say that I am not enjoying Halo 5 very much.

The single player/co-op is dull. Any difficulty just comes from making the mobs bullet sponges and crack shots. 

The story in the single player is confusing. Why am I searching for this doctor? Why am I not just playing as Master Chief? Wasn't Master Chief all alone on the wrong side of the galaxy at the end of Halo 4? Who the fuck is the yellow hologram wearing a WWII aviator's cap? Why is he wearing a WWII aviator's cap? It won't help you if your spaceship depressurizes...

There doesn't seem to be any attempt at matchmaking in the multiplayer which makes the game frustrating for the casual gamer who didn't learn the maps six weeks ago via YouTube or Twitter or Grindr. Some of us have jobs, family, and need the occasional well-balanced meal so our gaming time is limited. Then we try to play some Halo 5 MP, get pwned by a bunch of people already max level, and aren't having fun. Same as with Halo 4 MP, I shoot people, but they don't die and just rush up and one shot me. Again, not fun.

Compared with other MP games, the character feels stiffer and seems to have no peripheral vision. And I don't even get a hint of people coming behind me from the poor sound. So, my situational awareness is much less than in Titanfall, COD or even the Battlefront beta and I die a lot more.

I don't mind having a crappy K/D but with that I usually have a hope of it improving. I just don't see how I can improve with the lack of matchmaking and issues with field of vision and sound.

I know there's new abilities like the float in mid-air, charge & ground pound, but the game doesn't communicate how to use those. Guess I have to be fucking psychic or again have watched every stupid video on IGN to play the game? Would it have been that onerous to put in a little training session?

The graphics are good, but it's just so much like all the previous games once I'm not looking at confusing cut scenes.

I have to say that I am not enjoying Halo 5 very much.

The single player/co-op is dull. Any difficulty just comes from making the mobs bullet sponges and crack shots. 

The story in the single player is confusing. Why am I searching for this doctor? Why am I not just playing as Master Chief? Wasn't Master Chief all alone on the wrong side of the galaxy at the end of Halo 4? Who the fuck is the yellow hologram wearing a WWII aviator's cap? Why is he wearing a WWII aviator's cap? It won't help you if your spaceship depressurizes...

There doesn't seem to be any attempt at matchmaking in the multiplayer which makes the game frustrating for the casual gamer who didn't learn the maps six weeks ago via YouTube or Twitter or Grindr. Some of us have jobs, family, and need the occasional well-balanced meal so our gaming time is limited. Then we try to play some Halo 5 MP, get pwned by a bunch of people already max level, and aren't having fun. Same as with Halo 4 MP, I shoot people, but they don't die and just rush up and one shot me. Again, not fun.

Compared with other MP games, the character feels stiffer and seems to have no peripheral vision. And I don't even get a hint of people coming behind me from the poor sound. So, my situational awareness is much less than in Titanfall, COD or even the Battlefront beta and I die a lot more.

I don't mind having a crappy K/D but with that I usually have a hope of it improving. I just don't see how I can improve with the lack of matchmaking and issues with field of vision and sound.

I know there's new abilities like the float in mid-air, charge & ground pound, but the game doesn't communicate how to use those. Guess I have to be fucking psychic or again have watched every stupid video on IGN to play the game? Would it have been that onerous to put in a little training session?

The graphics are good, but it's just so much like all the previous games once I'm not looking at confusing cut scenes.

The single player has been a blast for me thus far.  The only time things have gotten particularly difficult for me has been from the number of enemies, not becoming bullet sponges or particularly great shots.  I can't really say much in regards to your issues with the story - here's a refresher on the end of Halo 4.  Maybe skip to the 7:40 mark.  Or in short, no, the Chief wasn't all alone on the wrong side of the galaxy, he was home.

In terms of matchmaking, you haven't yet played enough games in your chosen playlist (Team Arena) to qualify.  Once you've qualified, you'll be assigned a rank.  Until then, they're throwing you into games as quickly as possible I believe, and trying to mix up the ranks that you play against one match to the next.  You seem to be playing mostly against platinum and gold - though part of this may be because Wolfrat has already qualified and was ranked as gold himself.

In terms of how the character feels compared to other shooters, I'd say he feels more solid.  Couldn't disagree more in regards to the sound, I think the sound effects throughout the game are amazing.  One could argue that the FOV could be wider, but it's the same for every player so it's no special handicap.

They introduce the ground pound and such in the campaign.

The other issue for me is that I don't like having a horrid K/D because I don't like being a liability to my team even if it's just a bunch of schlubs I don't know.

I'm going to try to stick with it at least until Fallout 4 drops.

Maybe that's Halo 3 where Chief is alone on the USNC ship at the end? I thought I did the campaign on Halo 4 but must've forgotten it.

Maybe that's Halo 3 where Chief is alone on the USNC ship at the end? I thought I did the campaign on Halo 4 but must've forgotten it.

That wouldn't surprise me, I never even played Halo 4 but I've heard that it was a convoluted mess of a story and everything I've seen of it implies the same.

The other issue for me is that I don't like having a horrid K/D because I don't like being a liability to my team even if it's just a bunch of schlubs I don't know.

I think we all suffer from the same thing.

I'm going to try to stick with it at least until Fallout 4 drops.

Yup, that was Halo 3. Halo 4 and Spartan Ops set up the continued story in H5.

TAG Halo night will assuage any lingering fear of being a team liability :)

Well, I'll continue trying to play this if y'all don't mind me stinking up the room.

Guess I'll have to watch that video to understand the story. Maybe then the co-op will make more sense...

Warzone has been a complete and utter disaster for me.  3-12 with a 0.7 KDA.  I do understand how the mode works, but I have apparently had a nearly statistically impossible wealth of being placed on a team of morons against a team of 12 organized professional gamers who work for 343 industries as developers and game-testers.  I was actually in a game in which my team lost 1000-40.  Basically, the other 11 people on my team defended nothing and shot no one, and the other team were all Onyx playlist ranked MLG veterans.  Most of the losses have been a score of 1000 to <500--i.e., not even close.  I have 100% given up on Warzone as a gamemode, unless I am in a group of more than four TAGers, even though I have an ULTRA RARE DMR skin I can only use in Warzone.

The Arena started out horrendous and has gotten much better, although I have about 150 kills to 250 deaths, a ratio of which may never improve, I am simply much better at objective-based gameplay.  I have played a few times with some TAGers, and it is a lot of fun, win or lose.  I do feel like I am improving by learning the maps, learning the weapons, learning the modes, and basically trying to get a feel for Halo PvP MP after playing only 22 matches since Halo 3 (2007)--an eight-year layoff.

Without question, the most important thing I have learned:

I must only move around the map with teammates.  If I run around alone, I die.

I have never played any videogame, on any platform, in which it was more imperative that I find a buddy or buddies before trying to do anything (except organized Guild Raiding in the #1 morning Guild in the United States in World of Warcraft, the most intense and difficult videogame playing I have ever done).

I'll go ahead and add my thoughts...

After playing MCC, I started to wonder if I'd actually buy Halo 5.  I'm glad I did.  In my mind, Halo has improved in nearly every way.

1. It's faster.  I love the movement mechanics, all of them.
  2. It's balanced.  Nearly every gun and ability seems useful.  Nothing seems overly dominating.
  3. It's diverse.  Arena and Warzone compliment each other.  There's something for everyone.
  4. There's incentive to play more and more with the req system.  The rewards are frequent and fun.

I think what I love the most is that 343 is making this game their own.  For me, this is the best Halo yet.  Sorry Bungie.

Warzone has been a complete and utter disaster for me.  3-12 with a 0.7 KDA.  I do understand how the mode works, but I have apparently had a nearly statistically impossible wealth of being placed on a team of morons against a team of 12 organized professional gamers who work for 343 industries as developers and game-testers.  I was actually in a game in which my team lost 1000-40.  Basically, the other 11 people on my team defended nothing and shot no one, and the other team were all Onyx playlist ranked MLG veterans.  Most of the losses have been a score of 1000 to <500--i.e., not even close.  I have 100% given up on Warzone as a gamemode, unless I am in a group of more than four TAGers, even though I have an ULTRA RARE DMR skin I can only use in Warzone.

The Arena started out horrendous and has gotten much better, although I have about 150 kills to 250 deaths, a ratio of which may never improve, I am simply much better at objective-based gameplay.  I have played a few times with some TAGers, and it is a lot of fun, win or lose.  I do feel like I am improving by learning the maps, learning the weapons, learning the modes, and basically trying to get a feel for Halo PvP MP after playing only 22 matches since Halo 3 (2007)--an eight-year layoff.

I have never played any videogame, on any platform, in which it was more imperative that I find a buddy or buddies before trying to do anything (except organized Guild Raiding in the #1 morning Guild in the United States in World of Warcraft, the most intense and difficult videogame playing I have ever done).

Holy shit, i thought i was the only one thinking this same thing !!

Holy shit, i thought i was the only one thinking this same thing !!

I have to say that, going into Warzone alone, I have pretty much the same experience.  Going in with randoms that aren't communicating with you greatly increases the chance that you're going to lose by a lot.  I had a few good games with Sith and some guys last night where we were on a bit of a winning streak.

In terms of running around with a buddy, you are absolutely right.  This was a tactic that I tried to live by in Destiny as well but mostly because it's something I had learned from the Halo games - teamfire is king.  If I'm sticking by myself, I tend to either stay long distance or I have to learn the map well enough to get the drop on people close quarters.

Oh and weapon skins are visible in Arena.  If it's an alternate loadout version of a weapon, that's only available in Warzone.

Warzone is not my thing, for sure.  For me, it has two things going against it.  First, the games are loooong.  So far, my average WZ game is 33 minutes.  Second, is that it's too chaotic.  I think it was built for BF fans.

Arena is much better for my style of play.  Shorter games, averaging about 7 minutes, are more fun to me.  If you lose one or have a bad team, then the pain is over quickly.  I also like the smaller maps and the game types are exciting.  Breakout, in particular, is full of excitement.

4 important things to note:

1. Wolfrat is correct, Halo was always built to be a team based arena shooter.  Your team sucks = You suck.  This is part of what sets Halo apart from other shooters and a big reason I like it.  This is only assuaged if you're awesome and playing slayer, but a team of organized lessers can still make quick work of you.
  2. K/D hardly matters in an objective game.  Organized flag grabs, counter captures, organized territory captures and defense - these are what matter more and any team that's any where slightly mature knows your contribution isn't kills alone.  Even in slayer, I sometimes focus more on feeding kills to the better players by flanking and shooting people even knowing I won't be able to follow through with the kill. Put shots on someone, run away and call it out.  Let someone else with more precision finish the job.  Again, it's a team sport.
  3. Matchmaking isn't really in effect until you've finished the first 10 games of any one playlist. You'll see a round counter next to your name marking off each of the ten games you've played.  It's AFTER these ten games you will start being matched with opponents and team members closer to your skill.  Naturally this will start to become more accurate the longer people play. Details in link http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-csr-breakdown/
  4. Halo 5 does not do a good job of catching you up to speed if you aren't familiar with at least the prior 4 games (particularly Halo 4)  This is one of the biggest hits they are taking in reviews, but for those up to date, it's shaping up to be a great campaign. 

P.S. I did finally beat the Warden Eternal.  The game isn't so bad on Legendary solo except for his encounter so far.  It took many trial and error attempts to get just the right scenario to come together.  The second encounter with him was actually much easier if a little more tedious.  you actually have room to get away from him.

1. Matchmaking isn't really in effect until you've finished the first 10 games of any one playlist. You'll see a round counter next to your name marking off each of the ten games you've played.  It's AFTER these ten games you will start being matched with opponents and team members closer to your skill.  Naturally this will start to become more accurate the longer people play. Details in link http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-csr-breakdown/

Something is not working in their ranking system.

Here are my current stats for RANKED ARENA PLAYLIST STATS Team Arena.  I am Gold 1.

0.689 KD

KILLS 355

DEATHS 515

215 ASSISTS

0.759 W/L

WINS 22

LOSSES 29

51 GAMES COMPLETED

In Team Arena, I get a Gold 1 ranking.  My win percentage is in the 40s, and my Arena KD around -3.5.  Our friend Nyankoframe also gets a Gold ranking.  We probably should have been Silver or Bronze, but I do not know exactly how this system works.

Last night, Wyvern finished his first 10 Team Arena games, and gets a Platinum 1 ranking...with a record of 3-11 (21%) and an Arena KD of -5.

What?

Huh?

He probably should have been Silver, if not Bronze or Iron.  There is no explaining this obvious major error in any way, other than that it is...a major error.

Here are Wyvern's stats for RANKED ARENA PLAYLIST STATS Team Arena, which earned him a Platinum 1 ranking, because either Halo 5's ranking and matchmaking is simply random, totally broken, totally nonsensical, totally non-existent, or simply a cruel joke:

0.561 K/D

KILLS 128

DEATHS 228

67 ASSISTS

0.357 W/L

WINS 5

LOSSES 14

19 GAMES COMPLETED

We immediately began getting matchmade against Platinums and even a Diamond, and were getting destroyed.  We had to leave Team Arena to go play the Breakout list, because even after loss after loss after loss, Wyvern's Platinum 1 ranking would not drop.

Wyvern's Platinum 1 ranking is going to make it very difficult for us to enjoy Team Arena or get any wins, or get any kills.  What gives? If I am a Gold 1, Wyvern should be Silver 1.

Another reason I have enjoyed Team Arena is because every time I have played, it has cycled through all the game modes, as long as I do not leave the matchmaking.  Slayer, CTF, Breakout, Stronghold, rinse and repeat, just like Titanfall would do with the Variety Pack lobby.

Last night in Team Arena, the three of us played at least 10 games.  6 were Slayer--definitely more than half, when they should have been 25%.  No, we were not in the Slayer playlist.  We were playing Team Arena.  We had two or three games of CTF.  We had one Breakout game.  We had zero Stronghold games.

If anything, since there is already a @!#^%@^%@# Slayer Playlist, Team Arena should be light on Slayer.  You should be more likely to play the other three modes.  Not play Slayer over half the ^&%@#$&^%@&$^@#$ time.

What?

Huh?

Can anyone explain this idiocy that occurred last night?

Yes, I am headed to the Halo 5 forums and Halo reddit to post.

I actually agree that, given the presence of a Team Slayer playlist, Team Slayer shouldn't show up in Team Arena at all.  It should be purely objective based.

As for the oddity with your ranking, things get a little fuzzy.  Per those stats, you've now played 51 games of Team Arena.  But you would have received your Gold based off of only the first 10.  I'm not sure what your Win percentage would have been at that time.  Further, it seems to me that it should have ranked you Gold based on those first ten games in comparison to other players' rankings in the playlist at that time.  Given that the game was / is still relatively new and the learning curve is what it is, this would allow for a pretty huge margin of error initially.

I know that 343 had mentioned ranks being reset in the form of "seasons" so that you would, after theoretically having gotten better through the course of a season, be able to qualify in at a higher rank.  I'm not sure when the first season is over or what playlists that will apply to, but matchmaking I think is going to be a little more painful than needed until then.

It could also be that your rating is relative to others playing. Therefore, when Wyvern was graded, his was based on a different distribution of player scores. The ranking system is in a state of change as long as people are playing Halo 5.

Edit: I just saw havoc said the same thing.

What they said, plus, in the past there is actually a non-published true skill number the matchmaking system used to actually match you with teammates and opponents.  While your rank is a decent indicator, it may not actually be what this system uses to match you.

Also there are two different stats to keep straight when considering your performance.

K/D = Kill Death Ratio (Kills - Deaths) is never a negative number but a decimal figure.

KDA is Kill Death Assists = (Kills + (Assists/3) - Deaths).  This number accounts for assists and can be represented as a negative number.

Lastly, it's going to match you with a range of players.  You'll be matched with teams clearly better (and worse) than you by stats to give you a diversified experience.  The goal would really be just to remove the outliers like pros or people that don't know how to use to sticks at the same time from your line up.  I'm betting this range is honed after some time is spent with the game.  They can't know exactly the outcome of the instated matchmaking system until they get a flood of stats to sort through. 

For the same reason the Detroit Lions still have fans, you play because you never really know what will happen with different team match ups. 

Oh, while I agree, having Slayer in Team Arena seems silly.  I like it for two reasons. 

One, it means everyone in a fireteam gets something they like if you play in the playlist long enough.  Sometimes I play with objective minded teams and never just get to play some good ol' 4v4 team slayer.

Two, it probably entices more players to play objectives.  Any game I've seen put a population count next to a playlist is lopsided somewhere around 90% slayer, 5% objective and 5% other.  I often prefer objectives, but for some reason that puts me in a tiny minority.