Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
Sign in to follow this  
Relic

Halo 5 TAG reviews and thoughts

I actually agree that, given the presence of a Team Slayer playlist, Team Slayer shouldn't show up in Team Arena at all.  It should be purely objective based.

As for the oddity with your ranking, things get a little fuzzy.  Per those stats, you've now played 51 games of Team Arena.  But you would have received your Gold based off of only the first 10.  I'm not sure what your Win percentage would have been at that time.  Further, it seems to me that it should have ranked you Gold based on those first ten games in comparison to other players' rankings in the playlist at that time.  Given that the game was / is still relatively new and the learning curve is what it is, this would allow for a pretty huge margin of error initially.

I know that 343 had mentioned ranks being reset in the form of "seasons" so that you would, after theoretically having gotten better through the course of a season, be able to qualify in at a higher rank.  I'm not sure when the first season is over or what playlists that will apply to, but matchmaking I think is going to be a little more painful than needed until then.

I have no problem with my ranking of Gold 1; it was Wyvern's rank that seemed outrageously inflated and immediately made it nearly impossible for us to be competitive in Team Arena.  I just put my information down as a comparison.

The problem is Wyvern having a 0.5 KD and a 3-11 record and being given a Platinum 1 ranking.  As soon as he was ranked, we started getting matchmade against Gold 2s, Gold 4s, Platinum 1s, Platinum 2s, and even a Diamond.  None of the matches were competitive. His rank would not go down.  We were totally outmatched.  Before Wyvern received his erroneous Platinum 1 ranking, we were not seeing Platinums and Diamonds on the other side, and we were at least being marginally competitive.

I understand the explanations that are being offered here, but I do not even think we are deserving of Gold ranking, let alone Platinum.  Platinum players were going 20-5 against our team, and we were pathetically outmatched.  It would be like seeding a high school basketball team against the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls in a open tournament.  You could do it, and you could try to justify with some goofy hidden algorithm, but any sane person examining the experience and its results would say that it was a terribly unfair and idiotic error.

That is another point of the Halo 5 ranking system.  You will never drop below your medal.  So you qualified at Gold, and were given a rank of Gold 1.  You can move up to Gold 3 and back down to Gold 1 (I think) but you'll never move below Gold.  Until the end of the season when the appropriate ranks reset.

Oh, while I agree, having Slayer in Team Arena seems silly.  I like it for two reasons. 

One, it means everyone in a fireteam gets something they like if you play in the playlist long enough.  Sometimes I play with objective minded teams and never just get to play some good ol' 4v4 team slayer.

Two, it probably entices more players to play objectives.  Any game I've seen put a population count next to a playlist is lopsided somewhere around 90% slayer, 5% objective and 5% other.  I often prefer objectives, but for some reason that puts me in a tiny minority.

I accept that Team Slayer is a part of the Team Arena playlist.  Six of our first nine Team Arena matches were Team Slayer, when it should have been two or three at the most.  Again, something stupid is happening.  If players want that much Team Slayer, they can go to the Slayer Playlist.  Any one playing Team Arena would find six out of nine matches being Team Slayer horrible...otherwise they would be playing the Slayer playlist.  People are doing Team Arena to get a fun mix of Breakout, CTF, Stronghold, and Slayer, not three times as many Slayer games as anything else.

The other issue was that I had been playing Team Arena for three days beforehand, and nothing like this had happened.  The game was doing a great job of just feeding the four modes in a random order, without repeating until you had played the same number of each mode.

Last night, between Team Arena being a Team Slayer playlist, and Wyvern being a rank probably two or three of the six levels too high, it was as if the matchmaking and playlist system in Team Arena was horrendously broken.

It took me a while to write this, I wanted to get a full week’s worth of game time in, before I weighed in on my opinion of Halo 5.

So far, I am having a blast playing. I try not to take it too serious but I am trying to get better for the sake of my teams. By far my favorite games are Warzone and SWAT.

The Warzone doesn’t seem to get much love, but I am highly enjoying the scale and challenge of it. I think I only did one group warzone where we had about 6 people. We lost hard, but people were still learning the nuances of the maps and game type. Plus, the REQ system can be confusing at first. As a solo player, I find that it is best to stick with the objectives. I have found that people are starting to know that the real value in the game is the boss kills. I like to show up and kill off the other team, while they are trying to kill the NPC’s. Storming into a base or a boss solo will defiantly get you killed. 

The REQs are a bit slow, even on a winning team. I have yet to be able to break out some of my best reqs. If I do ever see level 8 or 9, it is almost a waste to use them. 

Friendly warzone tips I learned the hard way:

• The REQ stations inside the bases, will refill your weapon ammo by just standing next to them.
  • At center screen, it will show you how many attackers are in the base you are inside defending. 
  • Don’t forget about loadout weapons. They do not use up your accrual of points, just require your team to reach that point level. If you have them, you can upgrade both weapons at the same time.  

This Halo is my first introduction to SWAT. It is intense and infuriating at times, but I cannot get enough. I think the rush of getting multiple headshots the best part. Map knowledge is key here.

I think the only part about the game I am having trouble with is Arena Slayer. It is so dependent on the power weapons, that it just becomes a fight over their spawn points. 
  • Like 1

I still don't see why I was rated as Platinum 1 in Team Arena. When I qualified to be ranked I had a Win Percentage of 30% and a KDA for Team Arena of -5.something. We played several matches and even though we were getting our asses handed to us, it wouldn't go down.

I am horrible at this game. Even with a little bit of improvement last night, I am still pretty bad.

Me being ranked Platinum 1 is like a high school JV football team being listed in the college top 25. Just makes no sense regardless of the metric ostensibly used to generate my rank. 

I posted about my erroneous rank on the forum bug report.

While I was playing a bit better last night, I was still highly outclassed in most matches. Constantly being placed only in matches where I am outclassed isn't going to make me want to hang on to the game.

• Like 2

I still don't see why I was rated as Platinum 1 in Team Arena. When I qualified to be ranked I had a Win Percentage of 30% and a KDA for Team Arena of -5.something. We played several matches and even though we were getting our asses handed to us, it wouldn't go down.

I am horrible at this game. Even with a little bit of improvement last night, I am still pretty bad.

Me being ranked Platinum 1 is like a high school JV football team being listed in the college top 25. Just makes no sense regardless of the metric ostensibly used to generate my rank. 

While I was playing a bit better last night, I was still highly outclassed in most matches. Constantly being placed only in matches where I am outclassed isn't going to make me want to hang on to the game.

I should have led with how I agree btw.  This is pretty strange, but obviously its hard to say why with so many unknowns.  I'd be interested to hear if the give you any kind of reply. 

Perhaps, don't sell yourself too short?  Maybe top gold/bottom platinum is about where you guys belong.  The meaning of these categories is nothing until they are filled and then ranked within.  Maybe they skip bronze so no one feels like they're on the bottom and silver is a bunch of 6 year olds that can't figure out why the Wii Game Pad isn't working.

Or maybe we'll see an article on IGN next week about how the first update will tweak/fix matchmaking.

I should have led with how I agree btw.  This is pretty strange, but obviously its hard to say why with so many unknowns.  I'd be interested to hear if the give you any kind of reply. 

Perhaps, don't sell yourself too short?  Maybe top gold/bottom platinum is about where you guys belong.  The meaning of these categories is nothing until they are filled and then ranked within.  Maybe they skip bronze so no one feels like they're on the bottom and silver is a bunch of 6 year olds that can't figure out why the Wii Game Pad isn't working.

Or maybe we'll see an article on IGN next week about how the first update will tweak/fix matchmaking.

Considering I am Bronze in one type, and silver 1 in the others, I can assure you that I am either just that bad, or that Wyvern is much better than I am.

Considering that he is a seasoned console fps gamer and I have been playing nothing but warcraft for 10 years, I am going to lean towards both being true.

• Like 1

I'm liking it much better than previous Halo games.  Loads of weapons, it feels like halo but sometimes it does not.  Great new feel for Halo. I'm liking multiplayer as well and I haven't in the past.  Feels more fluid than COD. 

Problem solved re: the rankings! We think...

So, Wolfrat & I unlocked our rankings in Breakout & SWAT. I ended up Bronze 1 in that & Wolfie Silver 1. Then we went through SWAT and I got Diamond 1 and he got Gold 1. In SWAT, I had a KDA of -4.4 vs Wolfrat's -2.2, but I had 77 kills in 10 matches to his 40. In Breakout, I had less deaths than Wolfrat

So we think the ranking is mostly based on volume of kills. I suppose some of the team objectives count somewhat toward it, but it looks to be all about the kills.

I tend to be more aggressive, often to my detriment. Looks like Halo 5 CSR rewards that. So in SWAT, I got more kills than Wolfrat & got Diamond 1 (LOL, I still have a negative KDA & 40% win percentage). In Breakout, Wolfrat was often the last one standing.

So, Wolfrat & I unlocked our rankings in Breakout & SWAT. I ended up Bronze 1 in that & Wolfie Silver 1. Then we went through SWAT and I got Diamond 1 and he got Gold 1. In SWAT, I had a KDA of -4.4 vs Wolfrat's -2.2, but I had 77 kills in 10 matches to his 40. In Breakout, I had less deaths than Wolfrat

So we think the ranking is mostly based on volume of kills. I suppose some of the team objectives count somewhat toward it, but it looks to be all about the kills.

I tend to be more aggressive, often to my detriment. Looks like Halo 5 CSR rewards that. So in SWAT, I got more kills than Wolfrat & got Diamond 1 (LOL, I still have a negative KDA & 40% win percentage). In Breakout, Wolfrat was often the last one standing.

That's still interesting to me.  I would have figured that each playlist would have a different metric or set of metrics that it used to determine your ranking - after all, sheer volume of kills means very little in Team Arena.  It's also important to keep in mind that we're mostly talking about what metric is used for the initial qualifying within a playlist.  343 has already stated that in order to increase beyond where you qualify, the only thing that matters is wins.

That's still interesting to me.  I would have figured that each playlist would have a different metric or set of metrics that it used to determine your ranking - after all, sheer volume of kills means very little in Team Arena.  It's also important to keep in mind that we're mostly talking about what metric is used for the initial qualifying within a playlist.  343 has already stated that in order to increase beyond where you qualify, the only thing that matters is wins.

The empirical data confirms that the initial Playlist ranking, immediately awarded following the completion of your tenth game in any Arena playlist, is calculated by total kills only, or kills per game average, and nothing else matters.

Wyvern and I did Team Arena.  He had more total kills and a higher kills per game average, but I had a higher KDA, K/D, and win percentage.  Wyvern was given Platinum 1, and I was given Gold 1.  This result implies that only total kills is significant.

Wyvern and I did Breakout.  He had fewer total kills, because there is no respawn.  I had more total kills.  Our win percentage was the same.  My greater number of kills got me Silver 1, and Wyvern got Bronze 1.

Wyvern and I did SWAT.  He had twice as many kills as I did.  Our win percentage was exactly the same, as was the number of games played.  We both had poor KDA and K/D.  I was given Gold 1, and Wyvern was given Diamond 1.

The SWAT result was what finally confirmed that the initial Playlist rank is based only on total kills in those first 10 games.  The more total kills you have, regardless of anything else, will get you a higher and higher ranking.

In my opinion, it is an extremely flawed system, because in my experience, the best players in any FPS (such as Sparkastic in Destiny and Titanfall, et al.) are the /players with the best Kill to Death ratio, and the highest number of kills.  Forget win percentage, as that is susceptible to your teammates.

The Playlist ranking should be primarily based on KDA or K/D, with total kills being a part of the algorithm, but only as it serves to give valuation to your kill to death ratio (e.g., Player A and Player B both have a K/D of 2.0, but Player A had 20 kills and 10 deaths, and Player B had 2 kills and 1 death.  Player A is probably the better player, and should be ranked higher than Player B.  Player C has 2 kills and 10 deaths.  Player B and Player C should not receive the same ranking, in my opinion, but they will--because only total kills matters is your initial playlist ranking).

I can run around the map in Team Slayer and die 50 times and maybe get a lot more kills than I do in Team Slayer normally, when I try to stick with teammates, back up the best players on my team, secure weapons and power-ups so the other team cannot get them, and scout and call out enemy team positions.  I make every effort not to run around the map like a gung-ho idiot. I try to keep my deaths as low as possible, because each death is a point for the other team.  So I could get more kills, and die a whole lot more, and lower my KDA tremendously, and lose, and I would get a much higher intial ranking in the Playlist, which I think is a terrible ranking parameter.

The increase or decrease of your Playlist ranking, once established, is then directly tied to only wins and losses.

• Like 1

I can run around the map in Team Slayer and die 50 times and maybe get a lot more kills than I do in Team Slayer normally, when I try to stick with teammates, back up the best players on my team, secure weapons and power-ups so the other team cannot get them, and scout and call out enemy team positions.  I make every effort not to run around the map like a gung-ho idiot. I try to keep my deaths as low as possible, because each death is a point for the other team.  So I could get more kills, and die a whole lot more, and lower my KDA tremendously, and lose, and I would get a much higher intial ranking in the Playlist, which I think is a terrible ranking parameter.

The increase or decrease of your Playlist ranking, once established, is then directly tied to only wins and losses.

It's insanity, and I hope that in the future they tweak the way that qualification takes place.  I agree that for the most part the people that tend to be the best are those with the best Kill-to-death ratio.  I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the win/loss record isn't meaningful, but I'm fine with it being left out of the qualification entirely.  It makes intuitive sense that winning games should be how you rank up beyond the qualification though.

Sounds convincing, but it just doesn't make sense.  These aren't stupid people designing these games, nor are they new to the genre.  What Wolfrat says about KDA and KDR being superior to number of kills is exactly right, but the designers would know this too.  So, if what this evidence suggests is true, what's the designers line of thought I wonder?

Sounds convincing, but it just doesn't make sense.  These aren't stupid people designing these games, nor are they new to the genre.  What Wolfrat says about KDA and KDR being superior to number of kills is exactly right, but the designers would know this too.  So, if what this evidence suggests is true, what's the designers line of thought I wonder?

Maybe they are trying to account for the learning curve?  With the idea that players learn to kill first, and how to not die second?  Or perhaps they are intentionally boosting everybody's self-confidence by using a system that will rank them higher than they would have guessed.

Ever felt like this?

grunt_mongoose_comic-7dbbe94f0f334f42a1b

The Halo Waypoint blog I took this from says this as well, "We’re now taking close looks at things like spawning in both Warzone and Arena, custom game options, feedback on Fireteam display, controls, improving map and game type variety across playlists (including adding additional maps to select playlists), the REQ System, and much, much more. Teams across the studio have made on-the-fly improvements to Onyx and Champion rank display, REQ System maintenance, banning, and beyond. Your feedback on Waypoint, Twitter, reddit, and elsewhere has kept us quite busy, and that’s how we like it."

I would expect this anyway with Halo, but sounds like they're working quickly to tweak what's needed and support the software post launch.  Think there's just that little something off about the game?  Stick around, I'm betting they'll get to it by order of priority/ease of change.

Ok been playing single player using my turtle beach DSS2(thanks hoppy) oh my gosh the audio work is very top notch in this game, Vehicles sound so good the idling of the warthog gave me a boner

• Like 1

Ok been playing single player using my turtle beach DSS2(thanks hoppy) oh my gosh the audio work is very top notch in this game, Vehicles sound so good the idling of the warthog gave me a boner

Oh yeah, the audio and sfx in H5 are top notch! Especially so via headset :)

• Like 1

Ever felt like this?

The Halo Waypoint blog I took this from says this as well, "We’re now taking close looks at things like spawning in both Warzone and Arena, custom game options, feedback on Fireteam display, controls, improving map and game type variety across playlists (including adding additional maps to select playlists), the REQ System, and much, much more. Teams across the studio have made on-the-fly improvements to Onyx and Champion rank display, REQ System maintenance, banning, and beyond. Your feedback on Waypoint, Twitter, reddit, and elsewhere has kept us quite busy, and that’s how we like it."

I would expect this anyway with Halo, but sounds like they're working quickly to tweak what's needed and support the software post launch.  Think there's just that little something off about the game?  Stick around, I'm betting they'll get to it by order of priority/ease of change.

Hell, i still feel like that minus for a goose or two...

Ever felt like this?

Hell, i still feel like that minus for a goose or two...

I found that after buying Bronze packs last night and unlocking all of the common certification cards, the packs are very varied now. It really makes a difference to have more common weapons/vehicles that you qualify to get from packs.

still don't know about this game, liked the SP (except the fact that you play Loke most of the time) the MP is just suck balls at... thinking about trading this for Fallout .... since I would still get a lot for the trade in. 

So I should start buying bronze packs instead of waiting for gold?

Bronze until you have all of the common certifications.

Silver until you stop getting the two-a-pack permanent cards from them (armor, helmets, loadouts, etc).

Then gold all the way. You'll now only get the rarer unlocks in your gold packs instead of spending 10k a pop to get the items that you already got in the silvers/bronzes.

• Like 1