• Announcements

• Duke大王

TeamSpeak License Expiring 9/1/2017   07/31/17

Our TeamSpeak License will be expiring by September 1st, 2017. I encourage everyone who still may be using the TeamSpeak server to migrate over to our Discord server before then to continue chatting with your buddies. You can click here for further instructions.   
    • BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrat

Rainbow Six Siege a Possible Costly Flop for Ubisoft

Wolfrat    526

Although reviewers agree that Rainbow Six Siege is a fantastic tactical shooter, years of delays, a launch in competition with three enormous established shooters, the removal of the promised single-player campaign with no discount in price, and the disastrous Open Beta connectivity issues a week before launch, may have doomed this terrific game to an early death--if no is playing, there is no multi-player game to play.

Although, we were still playing Titanfall 18 months after its release, even with only a few thousand people total and about 100 in our preferred mode, Variety Pack, each night.  Sometimes you would wait 15 minutes or more to get a game going, but we often played with a full team, and the smaller your group, the faster you could get a match.

Considering this game is the first Rainbow Six title in seven years, the pathetically hilarious debacle at every turn by Ubisoft may be the death knell of this wonderful franchise.  I only pray they want to do something in the near future with all the single-player content they prepared for this title and did not release.

Prepare to play only twitch shooters with endless respawns in re-hashed skins for the next 1,000 years.--CoD: BO III, SWBF, and Halo 5 are all multi-million unit sellers, and all feature the same tired, boring, repetitive, mountain dew-drenched meth head tweens gaming as all their predecessors.

As Leia said to Obi Wan Kenobi, Titanfall 2 may be "our only hope" for a shooter that is anything different from the above-mentioned re-skins.

Articles are appearing around the web describing R6S as a "flop" or Ubisoft, which has yet to release sales data on the title.

Sales have been meager in the UK, which is typically seen as a large supporter of Ubisoft titles.

Furthermore, the game, which has not yet been out for two weeks, is already being steeply discounted by numerous retailers (hopefully this could see an influx of post-Christmas players):

http://clapway.com/2015/12/11/fallout-4-uncharted-rainbow-six-siege-and-just-cause-3-headline-current-game-deals/

"RAINBOW SIX SIEGE ON SALE NOW

Rainbow Six Siege is a game that has been out for less than two weeks now. It is a first-person shooter published by Ubisoft for the PS4, Xbox One, and Windows PC. Rainbow Six Siege is a game that Best Buy and Wal-Mart have as eligible for their respective deals that were mentioned earlier. Considering that this game has only been on the market for less than two weeks, this is an awesome deal. It could be one of the two games you get at Wal-Mart for $45, or you could get it for free at Best Buy, after buying two games with equal or higher values."

• Like 2

Wyvern13    445

Let's hope there's a community for at least a bit.

I agree that Ubisoft dropped the ball a good bit on this one.

A lot of the reviews are saying that while aspects of the game are fun, it falls flat on several levels. Game Rankings shows the 3 versions all around 75%.

thebigjay19    198

Personally I don't care about this news. I think news like this will only make people less likely to purchase the game. Why put these stories out there? It is ubi's business to put this out if they choose. Doesn't make sense to me.

QuiGonGinRummy    2666

On top of Walmart and Best Buy, Target has an arguably better deal going right now:

Gold Edition of R6 Siege on either console is currently $59.99, and you can also combine it with a handful of other titles to trigger a $50 gift card when you buy two qualifying titles. One of the options is the Hasbro Family Game Night at $39.99, which means you essentially pay $49.99 for R6 Siege Gold and get the Hasbro game free (assuming you buy groceries or some other "going to buy it anyway" items at Target like we do).

romanodog    2383

Don't forget 5% off with the red card!

I really want to play this game but my multiplayer gaming time has been cut down to zero recently. I feel like by the time I can start playing again this game will be dead. I hope that's not the case.

Wolfrat    526

I am planning to play this game as long as i can. I will get The Division, but probably only play that with Wyvern. I hope the discounts keep the game alive; it worked for Titanfall (people on my list still play that game every night). There are multiple R6S TAG groups every night

It is a fantastic game, but Ubisoft really screwed up the Open Beta, and the long-delayed release, and the loss of single-player with inconsistent servers.  Ubisoft really needed to make sure their servers were top flight for a multiplayer only game, and the disastrous server performance in the Betas cost them more than any other mistake they made with this wonderful title.  That is what happens when companies try to save some money by cutting corners on labor and infrastructure--they end up costing themselves profoundly more than they might have saved.  Had Ubisoft put the time and effort into their servers for this title, it could have been a Multiplayer Game of the Year contender.

• Like 1

MaynardJames82    542

On top of Walmart and Best Buy, Target has an arguably better deal going right now:

Gold Edition of R6 Siege on either console is currently $59.99, and you can also combine it with a handful of other titles to trigger a $50 gift card when you buy two qualifying titles. One of the options is the Hasbro Family Game Night at $39.99, which means you essentially pay $49.99 for R6 Siege Gold and get the Hasbro game free (assuming you buy groceries or some other "going to buy it anyway" items at Target like we do).

i heard about this sale when I woke up today, but didn't know siege was part of the deal. Thankfully it looks like they are still in stock at my local target. I even called the store to ask what games were part of the deal and the guy didn't mention siege.

Primordial G00    1130

Are there population numbers on the game's lobby system?  Do you have an indication of how many people are playing at a given moment? 

Sometimes, for a good game, you can be happy playing even if there's only 400 other like-minded people with you, but it is disheartening for sure.

I agree with Jay, these articles aren't going to help sell the game, but I'm sure Ubi didn't have much say in that.  It's just journalists looking for a click.  The sale should help bolster the population post Dec. 25th. 

Wyvern13    445

Are there population numbers on the game's lobby system?  Do you have an indication of how many people are playing at a given moment? 

Sometimes, for a good game, you can be happy playing even if there's only 400 other like-minded people with you, but it is disheartening for sure.

I agree with Jay, these articles aren't going to help sell the game, but I'm sure Ubi didn't have much say in that.  It's just journalists looking for a click.  The sale should help bolster the population post Dec. 25th. 

No indication of number of folks attached to the servers. I think the number of folks playing on at least the Xbox One is pretty good. We're getting connected to matches at a good rate.

• Like 1

Wolfrat    526

Generally, we get matchmade within seconds.  If two minutes goes by without a game starting, Ubisoft asks that you back out and re-queue.  Contrast that timing with often waiting 10-15 minutes or even longer to get matches going in Titanfall.

Ubisoft is planning to improve their matchmaking, to better account for pre-made groups and player skill, but that will mean waiting longer for matches to start.

• Like 1

NeoFette    281

I wish I had paid attention to the fact that they were dropping the single-player mission style game. That's the one thing I always loved about the R6 games...I don't have a ton of time to play online with a 2 year old and 5 month old at home...so this game is now collecting dust...waste of $$. :(

Simple answer for me. There is way too much stuff to play. I have really enjoyed playing this game. But i don't always have a bunch of time so i jump on battlefront or BOPS3 and play a couple quick matches. Poor Fallout and tomb raider sit barely played. This darn work thing !! Looking forward to getting some late night matches in soon. 

• Like 1