mielik

XCOM 2

19 posts in this topic

Anyone else been playing XCOM 2? I lost my first playthrough and just beat my second on normal difficulty. Thinking of going up a level.

I think most who grabbed it posted here before release: 

I'm still going back and forth on purchasing it. I have Dying Light occupying me so it's easier to give it until later.

The first Xcom annoyed the hell outta me. I've watched a few LP's and am interested but keep being told playing the harder difficulties isn't worth it because of the timers. Ironman doubly so.

Some have said, and I've read, that some of the earliest mods are helping with that.

I've been watching a let's play of XCOM 2 and it's got a pretty nice story so far. The updated mechanics look like a little more fun too. I'm waiting on a sale before I buy it though. 

3 hours ago, LackOfHarmony said:

I've been watching a let's play of XCOM 2 and it's got a pretty nice story so far. The updated mechanics look like a little more fun too. I'm waiting on a sale before I buy it though. 

You can buy me one, too, when it's on sale.

No, no...no need to thank me.

I really liked 2 better.  By far one of my favorite series

2 Seems a little easier. Finished my play-through on Commander with no soldiers lost. Psi-operatives, armor piercing ammo, and sharpshooters with scopes rock.

16 minutes ago, mielik said:

2 Seems a little easier. Finished my play-through on Commander with no soldiers lost. Psi-operatives, armor piercing ammo, and sharpshooters with scopes rock.

That's the way the LPs were looking to me, but I'm okay with that. XCOM 1 was hard on the easiest setting. I might finish the sequel. 

On 2/12/2016 at 8:57 AM, LackOfHarmony said:

I had a blast playing through XCOM multiple times.  I've got my eye on XCOM2 also but I'm going to wait for a Steam sale (and more hard drive space).

1 person likes this

I think it is worth it - very good game.

14 hours ago, mielik said:

I think it is worth it - very good game.

That's what I've been hearing.  I expect I'll be getting it soon.  New hard drive going in this weekend so I'll probably pick it up after I put some more time into Grim Dawn.

When I posted earlier about this I thought you meant the 2nd xcom game.  I have just gotten Xcom2 on ps4, feels great so far.

Purchased and played Xcom 2 over the weekend on the Xbox. $35

The default difficulty is too easy, the next up is okay but plays too much with RNG.

I can only imagine the RNG for Legendary difficulty to be hilarious. More enemies, slower research/build timers, etc.

No bugs, yet, though.

5 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Purchased and played Xcom 2 over the weekend on the Xbox. $35

The default difficulty is too easy, the next up is okay but plays too much with RNG.

I can only imagine the RNG for Legendary difficulty to be hilarious. More enemies, slower research/build timers, etc.

No bugs, yet, though.

Did you by chance play the previous XCOM? How would you say this compares? Does the story relate at all from the previous installment?

17 hours ago, DukeDesu said:

Did you by chance play the previous XCOM? How would you say this compares? Does the story relate at all from the previous installment?

My reply didn't post...

The game is better than the first, but my bias against the first may be impingin' 'pon my generous honesty.

I then went on and on and then figured I may as well write an actual review.

The story goes on as if you lost the first XCOM. The RNG is typical of XCOM, you are supposed to strategize so it doesn't matter as much.

I was feeling the RNG was a bit tighter right up until I missed every shot below 80% for two turns in a row.

I'm playing Skyrim now.

I think I'm going to pass on this then, partly because I beat the first game with the best possible ending and don't like that being retconned because (secondly) the RNG gameplay was a bitch and made me feel real good about saving the world before I decided to never play it again. Facing an enemy directly, having near perfect accuracy prediction, and missing again and again was not fun gameplay. 

Just realized why the RNG felt tighter. They greatly (greatly) reduced all the clipping 'n shit from the first game and barriers to los appear to be actual barriers to los.

A friend suggested that my mission where I was missing every shot for turns on end (80%+ chance) was because the game forced it as a result of my not losing any characters.

To create "drama through a character's death".

Until that point I had been effectively rolling over the enemy every time.

He's had the same experience more than once and others he talked to reported the same.

After my character's joke of a death my entire team could suddenly shoot as if they'd been trained again.