• Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
Playing Muted

Do You Need Walls for Defense?

Playing Muted    108

Some settlement locations are quite large. Do you need to wall in the entire area?

Do you need walls at all or will turrets do the job of crushing invaders?

What gets destroyed if its not protected by a wall?

In the real world I wouldn't attempt to protect a huge large space. I'd use walls minimally and only defend areas that are of real use. Would this concept apply to FO4?

Chuckles    920

Not really. The "best" use of materials if you don't plan on making the game solely about settlement needs (if you even bother with 'em, ya don't have to) is to just place a structure here and there with turrets on top.

IMPORTANT TIP!!!1! - There is a concrete floor/block that is allowed to be placed at whichever elevation (inside the ground, etc.) you wish so you can have an even base/floor for buildings.

A lot of people (me definitely included) completely missed this and that certainly helped push me into exasperation and wore me out.

• Like 1

Playing Muted    108
18 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Not really. The "best" use of materials if you don't plan on making the game solely about settlement needs (if you even bother with 'em, ya don't have to) is to just place a structure here and there with turrets on top.

IMPORTANT TIP!!!1! - There is a concrete floor/block that is allowed to be placed at whichever elevation (inside the ground, etc.) you wish so you can have an even base/floor for buildings.

A lot of people (me definitely included) completely missed this and that certainly helped push me into exasperation and wore me out.

Other than the "happiness" value for settlers, do improved defenses alter the gameplay at all? I've been reading around and it looks like you still have to help out with attacks anyway. It seems like passive defenses like walls and active defenses like turrets are just for aesthetic value.

Yelgis    54

The only effect improved defenses have is to reduce the likely hood of attacks. If your not in the green, your chance of that settlement being attacked are much higher. Walls just force enemies into one place so they are easier to manage. 

Cbaoth    657

Where I could I simply put turrets, preferably in a slightly elevated area so that said turrets have a wider angle of attack & are tougher to take out by the baddies.  When I could afford it I put a heavy turret in those higher spots & have a regular turret on the ground so that they "back each other" up so to speak.  I've not had to worry about the starting point area (Sanctuary), or even the fort, but other areas (the drive in & a couple of others) have been attacked from time to time so I focus on them.  Where possible I also try & improve on any weapons the settlers may be carrying.  

The game is almost free NRA advertising sometimes.  

Chuckles    920

With the first DLC you can just create a bunch o' floating farmers with chaingun hands.