Playing Muted

The Overlooked Big Jim Pipe Wrench

16 posts in this topic

So I overlooked the Legendary Melee Weapon the Big Jim pipe wrench. I don't play as a melee character so I just stuffed it into a box. Then I read up on the effect and decided to add the Hook mod which requires no perks. So Big Jim has a 20% chance to cripple a limb. This doesn't sound like a big deal until you see it in action. During longer fights a Companion can completely cripple a Legendary Alpha Death Claw leaving it unable to move as its crumpled on the ground.

With the Hook mod, which requires no perks, Big Jim can rip the weapon our of an enemies hands.

This means that enemies can be stripped of their weapons and then left unable to move.

So Piper just owned Clint in Quincy on the latest Survival Difficulty. He got off a few shots then Piper used Big Jim to rip his Legendary auto laser riffle gun out of his hands. Then he switched to a backup laser pistol, she stole that gun too, leaving him with just fists. Mirelurks get gimped by the crippling effect, super mutants lose their guns and or get crippled, its pretty funny.

The only real enemies that seem to be immune to the crippling effect and can't be disarmed are robots. Everyone else it left as a weaponless heap, unable to fight back.

The other added bonus is that Big Jim is available very close to Sanctuary and is defended by 4 low level raiders. Plus, it requires no ammo for companions to burn through.

2 people like this

LOL - never even heard of this weapon! It's located near Sanctuary, you say? Hmmm....might have to go take a look tonight.

I'm really hoping I haven't lost it. I got so much crap all over the place...

I thought I lost all my legendaries a while back because I couldn't find them anywhere. Turns out all my settlers were taking them and using them. Was a fun easter egg hunt running around my settlements trading with every settler to get them back. Once I did that, I placed them in a safe. So far, so good; they've stayed in there. 

I don't think I have this weapon though.

I only started playing this somewhat recently - I can't seem to get my companions to keep using the weapons I force on them.  I wonder, based on this, if it's an ammo thing.  I don't currently use melee weapons though I'm working towards it through sneak and what-not.  Presently I'm running a nearly maxed out Assassin's Laser Sniper Rifle and a combat shotgun.  There aren't really any legendary weapons I've come across that have appealed to me thus far.

48 minutes ago, hybridhavoc said:

I only started playing this somewhat recently - I can't seem to get my companions to keep using the weapons I force on them.  I wonder, based on this, if it's an ammo thing.  I don't currently use melee weapons though I'm working towards it through sneak and what-not.  Presently I'm running a nearly maxed out Assassin's Laser Sniper Rifle and a combat shotgun.  There aren't really any legendary weapons I've come across that have appealed to me thus far.

Unless the weapon you give to the companion is an exact match of their default weapon or is a melee weapon, they will use up ammunition. If they run out of the ammunition they'll stop using the weapon. You'll need to supply them with new ammunition as they don't seem intelligent enough to restock on their own. If they find a weapon that has better stats during combat, some of them may loot and equip as you go along, unless you gave them a legendary. 

Some companions are better suited for melee than others. Curie, for instance, will always default to attempting melee combat no matter what weapon you give her. 

Edited by DukeSavesLives

What Duke said. I had the same problem in the beginning too. Just watch your ammo, they'll chew through it, especially if you give them a high fire rate weapon. 

Oh, and don't forget to regularly check your companion's inventory. It can quickly fill up with weapons they've stolen from enemies.

Speaking of, anyone run across a bug that has your inventory weight go into the thousands?

Loaded up my game and I couldn't move. Weight = 36857

Me neither, though I haven't traversed the wastes in a while now.

Discovered the issue. It's not a bug but a game feature. Apparently there was either an update before the DLC or I got it early: item weights have changed and ammo now has weight.

Those nuke cores each weigh 4 lbs. Those and all the ammo I've been totin' around...

May just restart the game.

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Discovered the issue. It's not a bug but a game feature. Apparently there was either an update before the DLC or I got it early: item weights have changed and ammo now has weight.

Those nuke cores each weigh 4 lbs. Those and all the ammo I've been totin' around...

Oh God. I'm glad I saved my game near a workshop...

37 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Whaaaa, they gave ammo weight now?!

I just checked and, at least on the PS4, all my ammo and cores have 0 weight. Is this on the PC? 

It's with the SURVIVAL game difficulty. I played that from the very beginning....

....and now cannot fast travel, can't carry much (added weight and your character carry capacity is lowered), your companion can't carry as much as before and they now will leave your ass if you don't revive 'em.

• You can get sick (introduced antibiotics)
  • No auto-saves (must sleep, different bedding = different sleeping)
  • Do more base damage (so do enemies)
  • Exhaustion is introduced (hunger, thirst, tradition, carrying, sleep, etc.)
  • YOUR IMMUNODEFICIENCY IS NOW A GOING CONCERN!!1!

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4s-all-new-survival-mode/2016/03/29/96

I just started a new game. This is going to be awesome!