BiggBear

Halo 5 Story Analysis

5 posts in this topic

I've been replaying the Halo 5 campaign recently and it reminds me how disappointed I was with the storytelling after Halo 4. I thought the storytelling in 4 was fantastic. The story in Halo 5 is filled with a lot of bad writing. I say that not only because I wasn't a fan of the direction the story went, but because there are legitimate plot holes. The biggest problem is there is 0 tie-in to any of the fiction released after Halo 4. I know the majority of people playing Halo do not follow anything outside of the main game. But if you come directly from Halo 4 Spartan Ops to Halo 5 (i.e. just the main game), it definitely doesn't make any sense. My annoyance has faded since the release and I mainly just enjoy the gameplay which is great. 

Anyway if anyone is interested here is a link to a level-by-level analysis of each mission in Halo 5 discussing the good and bad of the story. I agree with nearly everything the author says. It is a long read, but the author does a very good job analysing the game.  He did the same type of analysis for Halo 4 as well actually. 

https://haruspis.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/halo-5-level-by-level-analysis-osiris/ 

2 people like this

Between Spartan Ops, the Escalation comics, and Hunt The Truth I was super hyped for Halo 5's campaign. I was mostly disappointed that they killed off Jul Mdama (sp?) and that the main bad guy was the Warden. But the Warden thing was more of a game design gripe due to having to fight him over and over again.  Overall the campaign in 5 is kind of flat but they might be able to salvage the storyline in 6.

I tend not to dwell too much on the single player of 5 because the MP is so much fun. The previous games I found my value mostly from the campaign but I have played the ever loving shit out of halo 5 multiplayer and will never feel disappointed in that.

Thanks for posting the story analysis. I will give it a read.

Yeah there was a bit of retcon and messy storytelling but I still enjoyed it. Not as much as Halo 4 but it was still pretty good. I do think they got so caught up in certain aspects that they forgot where they had been.

2 hours ago, studknckl said:

Between Spartan Ops, the Escalation comics, and Hunt The Truth I was super hyped for Halo 5's campaign. I was mostly disappointed that they killed off Jul Mdama (sp?) and that the main bad guy was the Warden. But the Warden thing was more of a game design gripe due to having to fight him over and over again.  Overall the campaign in 5 is kind of flat but they might be able to salvage the storyline in 6.

I tend not to dwell too much on the single player of 5 because the MP is so much fun. The previous games I found my value mostly from the campaign but I have played the ever loving shit out of halo 5 multiplayer and will never feel disappointed in that.

Thanks for posting the story analysis. I will give it a read.

I didn't mind that Jul M'adama was killed, but that it was basically right away and in a terrible fashion. They could have made it a little more climactic. 

1 person likes this

I never really followed too much of the non-game cannon. The only thing I think I've done outside the game was the Fall of Reach audio book I listened to on my way to work in the car. There was a much bigger jump from Halo 3 to Halo 4 in terms of what wasn't in my knowledge banks as compared to the jump from 4 to 5. I know that the story is deeper in the second half of this trilogy. I personally still enjoyed the story in the first three more.  I definitely felt like the story in 5 was a lot better explained than the 4th. The 4th was confusing as hell for someone not into the outside books.