Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrat

My First Ever Xbox Live Temporary Chat Ban

Playing Rainbow Six Siege (my first mistake), wherein you encounter a lot of teamkillers and trolls.  For the second night in a row, I was teamkilled while setting up defenses.  I put up a Castle barricade over a door.  Any teammate can tear it down, and it will go right back into my inventory--that is how teammates move around despite Castle barricades--they stop Attackers, but are no hindrance to your fellow Defenders.

This particular teammate, on Xbox Live as AIRSTRIKE 88, did not like where I put the Castle barricade.  So he pulled out his sidearm and sighted me up, shooting me in the back of the head for an instant teamkill.  In 10 months, I have never been teamkilled because a teammate did not like where I put something...because you can always just tear it down, or even shoot your teammates device...there is no need or reason to shoot a teammate.  Of course, he was not kicked by the anti-teamkiller measures in place in the game, which had to be added by Ubisoft because teamkilling is so rampant in R6S.

Anyhoo...my second mistake...I send him a message telling him "If you did not like where I put the Castle, you could have just torn it down." He replies that it was so stupid of me to place a Castle barricade in the doorway that leads into the room adjacent to the objective room that he had to kill me.  My third mistake...I sent him a message telling him he was a "real sack of sh*t".

Three strikes, Wolfrat, and you are out!  Out of Xbox Live communications for one week!

In less than 24 hours, I received a one week ban from hearing and speaking in Party Chat (although I can be in a Xbox Live Party, thank goodness), hearing and speaking with in-game chat, and using Xbox messages [I can still message people from https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Messages].  Wow.  Not 24 hours, not 48 hours, a whole week.  First offense ever, as far as I know.  My reputation is 'Good'.  Thank goodness it was only that, because Titanfall 2 launches Thursday night.  I can still do multiplayer with friends, and still be in a party with friends, but I cannot hear or speak in party or game chat until Tuesday 11-1-2016.  Knowing they could have done whatever they wanted, I am seriously relieved I simply cannot hear or speak in chat for one week.  I played R6S with Nyankoframe tonight, and we communicated by teabagging each other, the way friends do.

I never let trolls get to me.  I learned a long time ago never to engage in message wars.  I always just Report people for Unsporting Behavior and Block them.  Lesson learned, yet again:  don't let the trolls get to you.  The teamkiller gets to team kill me, tells me my actions were stupid and that I deserved to be killed, and he gets no punishment whatsoever.  I respond to his teamkilling and disrespect by calling him a "real sack of sh*t" and I get a one week XBL communication ban.

I did the free Case Review to present my side of the story, because the message I sent to him would be totally out-of-context:  "The gamer needlessly and deliberately team killed me for putting up a Castle in R6S. When I told him he could have just torn it down, he said it was so stupid he had to teamkill me. I was angry and sent a message I should not have. I am sorry and will never do it again."  I do not expect the appeal to be honored, because it is an uphill battle and I did send a message with a profanity in it, but it was worth a try to say, "Did the guy tell you he teamkilled me deliberately and needlessly?"

Well played, AIRSTRIKE 88 and Xbox Live...well played.

"Enforcement Detail :- This account engaged in inappropriate communications. This activity may include harassment, abusive language, hate speech, profanity, disruptive or offensive language, spamming, or other inappropriate uses of Xbox Live communications features. Temporary suspension impact: For the duration of the suspension this account cannot use Xbox Live communication features, including in-game and party chat, messaging, video communications, gameplay broadcasting, sharing content, and Skype on Xbox One. Permanent suspension impact: This account can no longer sign in to Xbox Live from any device. This enforcement affects the account's Xbox Live privileges until 11/1/2016, 7:54:46 PM."

[Yeah, extremely relieved I did not receive a permanent ban.  Considering all the things I have been called, all the horrible messages I have received, all the horrible things I have heard in Xbox Live, I am surprised they actually ban people.  Apparently they just ban the wrong people.]

TLDR:  Do not feed the trolls.  Do not send insults or profanities over Xbox Live.  Let my mistake and stupidity be a positive lesson.  Just Report and Block the other guy, keep your head down, and do not get a temporary ban.  

The report system is a failed system in games. It can easily be weaponized, as you experienced. It's been a thing for a while to mass-report someone for something to get them banned, or troll someone into saying something naughty and then they get banned, as well (I'm fairly certain customer service reps at Microsoft don't look at gameplay footage - that was tedious work back in the day when I admin'd FPS servers and I can't imagine them not taking shortcuts and just reviewing message content).

Like you said, most companies view it as such: if you didn't use the ignore feature you were okay with the behavior...if he did, he wasn't...therefore his report has higher weight than yours (porbably filed under harassment, which has higher weight than unsportsmanlike conduct).

so that guy gets away with being a asshole, and you get banned. WTF MS????? sure you used a little bad language but it was heat of the moment for someone TK for no reason. 

52 minutes ago, metalsiren said:

so that guy gets away with being a asshole, and you get banned. WTF MS????? sure you used a little bad language but it was heat of the moment for someone TK for no reason. 

I'm fairly certain Microsoft does not see gameplay logs for every single game on their system. They only see text from messages, so in that case it becomes an issue of he said/she said and they have to go off other things. The scenario I posted above for how it might have played out is likely exactly what went on. Certain devs have come out and explained how report features have worked - Blizzard, for instance, has outright said if you do not ignore a griefing individual but instead chose to spar with them you're likely to be ruled as guilty of a party as that original individual.

Getting people angry enough for them to use aggressive language and then reporting it as harassment is the easiest way to pull off getting someone flagged for ban. It sucks, but as Wolf said, learn from it and don't risk the ban. Not like telling a troll they're an asshole is going to reform them or make you feel better, anyways.

56 minutes ago, DukeDesu said:

"Getting people angry enough for them to use aggressive language and then reporting it as harassment is the easiest way to pull off getting someone flagged for ban. It sucks, but as Wolf said, learn from it and don't risk the ban. Not like telling a troll they're an asshole is going to reform them or make you feel better, anyways."

It did make me feel better to tell the guy he w as a real sack of sh*t.  However, it was not worth a one-week chat ban, especially the week Titanfall 2 launches--definitely not worth it.

I can use my wife's account to actually chat, and when Titanfall 2 goes live I will switch back to my temporary chat ban main account to actually play with folks, so that my stats count.

1 hour ago, DukeDesu said:

I'm fairly certain Microsoft does not see gameplay logs for every single game on their system. They only see text from messages, so in that case it becomes an issue of he said/she said and they have to go off other things.

The only hope I have for reducing the ban is that I was able to state my context for my "sack of sh*t" message, and the text message evidence should be there for Microsoft to view.  My offensive message was in response to him sending me a message that said, "What you did was so stupid you deserved to be killed."  So, he both calls me stupid and admits to teamkilling.  Again, I am not expecting to get a reduction in penalty, but at least I got to put my offensive message in context.  Maybe they can look at the message history and give AIRSTRIKE 88 a little banhammer, too.  Again, probably wishful thinking....

• Like 1

Friendly reminder that Discord exists and has built-in voice chat. It runs on mobile devices, so great way to form your own party and circumvent the chat ban @Wolfrat

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Not all devices!

Racists...

Nobody uses Windows Phones just like nobody uses Linux. :)

• Like 1

It blows that Wolfrat got a coms ban with Titanfall 2 coming out in a couple of days. I was so frustrated with R6S that night that I snapped my game disk in half. I can always have Wolfie on my phone & relay his screams to the rest of the team...

1 hour ago, DukeDesu said:

Nobody uses Windows Phones just like nobody uses Linux. :)

I was gonna say Windows Phones are da bomb, but...

1 hour ago, Wyvern13 said:

It blows that Wolfrat got a coms ban with Titanfall 2 coming out in a couple of days. I was so frustrated with R6S that night that I snapped my game disk in half. I can always have Wolfie on my phone & relay his screams to the rest of the team...

Another reason why buying physical beats digital.

• Like 2

The Communication ban does not affect us actually playing together.  it's an annoyance for the first four nights I will be playing Titanfall 2. I can actually chat on my wife's account and then switch to my primary account for gaming.

been reading the enforcement policy...what AIRSTRIKE 88 did is almost their exact definition of trolling--harassing another player to get an emotional response. Also a bannable offense. somehow I am sure he goes unpunished . 

Decision Upheld.  I am sure the issue was not even reviewed.  The cut and paste response from Enforcement said that I had sent a threat, which is 100% incorrect in every way.  It simply did not happen.  

Never do anything to risk any kind of Enforcement Ban from Xbox Live, because you have no recourse after you have been accused, especially if they have a text message where you call the troll--who teamkilled you deliberately, and told you that your actions were so stupid you deserved to die--a "sack of sh*t", and he submits it as harassment, you are 100% screwed.  I am sure this activity is now what a lot of trolls do for fun.  I slipped up one time (I can not count the number of horrible text messages I have received, or the number of times I have been teamkilled deliberately in R6S) by responding in kind and got an immediate one week communications ban.

Wow.  Lesson learned, yet again...don't feed the trolls.  For all I know, AIRSTRIKE 88 is himself on the Enforcement team....

Apparently my sterling reputation is also no deterrent to getting immediately banned if one person makes one complaint and has an actual text message with the word "sh*t" in it.

Check http://enforcement.xbox.com/home/reputation to see your stats.  Here are mine, which I think are exemplary:

Good player reputation, has never deviated.

"Feedback You've Received

What other users are saying about you over the last 6 months

Fair Play

Quitter 0
Unsporting 1
Cheater 1

Communication

Voice 1
Messaging 2"

2 messaging complaints in six months.  One of them would be the "sack of sh*t" message to the troll.  Immediate one week communication ban, with no review and no recourse.  I am really strongly starting to suspect AIRSTRIKE 88 works in Xbox Live Enforcement, lol!  :s1217:

@Wolfrat

https://enforcement.xbox.com/united/home

Check that out:

Eligible volunteers are given the ability to judge whether certain types of content violate our Code of Conduct. If there is sufficient agreement within the community that the content breaks the rules, we'll take enforcement action on behalf of the community!