• Announcements

• Duke大王

TeamSpeak License Expiring 9/1/2017   07/31/17

Our TeamSpeak License will be expiring by September 1st, 2017. I encourage everyone who still may be using the TeamSpeak server to migrate over to our Discord server before then to continue chatting with your buddies. You can click here for further instructions.   
    • BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
BDaddyK

The PS4 Pro Thread...

BDaddyK    1106

So the PS4 Pro launch is happening and the first reviews are trickling in...

Looking pretty decent for the money. 

• Like 1

Palamino    459

I've got one pre-ordered.  Looking forward to putting it thru the paces with all of the titles shown above with the exception of Tomb Raider which I don't have on PS4...yet. ;-)

• Like 1

Nitereaver    230

Please post up if you think its actually worth upgrading, not just 4k wise but load times/framerate. I dont have a 4k tv hooked up to my systems. I am running a 70" 1080p tv so I refuse to "downsize", so until that size comes down in price I wont be 4k gaming. I'm curious if its worth the upgrade if not running 4k. I may get a 4k tv to replace our 47" tv upstairs on Black Friday so I may move one of them upstairs for 4k movies and streaming. I have the XBOS and its "supposed" to be slightly better than the original, but I dont notice it at all. XB dashboard is garbage, I was hoping for a smoother experience on the new one but was let down.  I wouldn't have bought the S if it wasn't for the fact I needed a XBO. 

Also, is the PS Pro still just 4k scaling and not true 4k like the xbos? I read that when this was announced, and also no 4k drive was a bad idea on their end. 

BDaddyK    1106

@Nitereaver For the money the Pro seems like a pretty good deal. While its kind of misleading to call it a "4K console" (as there will only a handful of games that will be native 4K with the bells and whistles on too) it does use checkerboard rendering to get pretty close to a 4K quality picture, and many games have multiple resolutions options with different levels of GFX turned on (1080/60 high settings, 1080/30 Ultra settings, 2160/30/60 low/med(?) for example. 1440p seems to be a prefered resolution too (TF2) which is a good choice for resolution/FPS and GFX. 

Most of the last gen games are running at native 4K, Skyrim, Last of Us. 

You'll definitely see a good graphical improvement in the games that output in the 1080 modes with all the GFX bells and whistles on, Tomb Raider looks awesome. 

• Like 1

Palamino    459
1 hour ago, Nitereaver said:

Also, is the PS Pro still just 4k scaling and not true 4k like the xbos? I read that when this was announced, and also no 4k drive was a bad idea on their end. 

According to reviewers, The Last of Us Remastered does offer an option to run the game in full 4K (2160p) running at 30fps.  It also offers upscaling to 4K (2160p) running at up to 60fps and from what I have read, the sweet spot for native rendering before upscaling is somewhere between 1440p to 1600p.  That's a lot better than the 900p commonly used on the current PS4 before upscaling to 1080p.

Lack of a 4k bluray drive is a non-factor for me because I have never liked using a game console to watch movies because using a game controller is awkward.  I often would accidentally rewind or fast forward when setting down a controller by depressing the trigger button.  Further, the bluray player app on xbox one was very poor in quality and compatibility when the xbox one originally launched.  I got fed up with it and bought a stand-alone bluray player and haven't looked back.  Having a 4k bluray drive would be nice, but I'd rather they exclude it if it keeps the cost down.  95% of my movie watching is done by streaming from vudu, and even if I buy a bluray disc, I always try to get one that includes a digital copy that I can redeem on vudu.com.  I have a lot of bluray discs that have never been played because I stream the included digital copy from vudu without getting off my lazy butt to find the disc when I want to watch a movie. :)

• Like 2

BDaddyK    1106

For me the exclusion of a 4K UHD drive sucks, but oh well. I use my XB1 to play Blu ray movies, I personally like having all my shit all in one, less stuff under the TV. 

• Like 2

Palamino    459
1 hour ago, studknckl said:

Best Buy will have this TV and a ps4 pro bundled for $999 starting this sunday. I am thinking about jumping on this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4804403.p?skuId=4804403

Caveat, that Sony XBR700D only has an 8-bit panel so can't really fully represent an HDR image.  I bought a Samsung KU6300 back in July that also claimed HDR support, but I later learned it also only uses an 8-bit panel.  I have some buyer's remorse there.  The Sony XBR800D I think does have a 10-bit panel and would provide a better image, but of course, it does cost a little more.  I have seen the XBR700D in person, and it has a great looking picture, but wanted to warn you about the 8-bit panel limitation.

BDaddyK    1106
3 hours ago, Palamino said:

I've got one pre-ordered.  Looking forward to putting it thru the paces with all of the titles shown above with the exception of Tomb Raider which I don't have on PS4...yet. ;-)

TR supposedly looks awesome on the Pro. 

• Like 1

studknckl    987
16 hours ago, Palamino said:

Caveat, that Sony XBR700D only has an 8-bit panel so can't really fully represent an HDR image.  I bought a Samsung KU6300 back in July that also claimed HDR support, but I later learned it also only uses an 8-bit panel.  I have some buyer's remorse there.  The Sony XBR800D I think does have a 10-bit panel and would provide a better image, but of course, it does cost a little more.  I have seen the XBR700D in person, and it has a great looking picture, but wanted to warn you about the 8-bit panel limitation.

i thought that might be the case. i want the samsung 8000 but this sony being paired up with the ps4 pro made it appealing.

Palamino    459

I am backing up my old PS4 to a 4tb external usb drive in preparation for arrival of my new PS4 Pro.  I have 1.54tb to backup, and it is estimating 9 hours to complete. :(

I assume restoring that onto the new PS4 Pro will take at least as long...

PS4_Backup_2016-11-09.jpg

BDaddyK    1106
7 minutes ago, Palamino said:

I am backing up my old PS4 to a 4tb external usb drive in preparation for arrival of my new PS4 Pro.  I have 1.54tb to backup, and it is estimating 9 hours to complete. :(

I assume restoring that onto the new PS4 Pro will take at least as long...

PS4_Backup_2016-11-09.jpg

Dang. I'd think it would take a lot less time than that, that's almost XB1 disc install speeds :p Too bad you can't just swap HD's between the systems, what I've read each PS "keys" each HD to said console. 

Palamino    459
18 minutes ago, BDaddyK said:

Dang. I'd think it would take a lot less time than that, that's almost XB1 disc install speeds :p Too bad you can't just swap HD's between the systems, what I've read each PS "keys" each HD to said console. 

It feels really slow, but that is a lot of data that I won't have to download so I guess it's worth it.  The official Sony blog article that discusses how to transfer data from an old PS4 to a new PS4 states in a Q/A from a user that it is not possible to swap drives of the systems because the drive contents are encrypted.  That must mean that the unique encryption key is embedded in the hardware of the console itself.

• Like 1

BDaddyK    1106
36 minutes ago, Palamino said:

It feels really slow, but that is a lot of data that I won't have to download so I guess it's worth it.  The official Sony blog article that discusses how to transfer data from an old PS4 to a new PS4 states in a Q/A from a user that it is not possible to swap drives of the systems because the drive contents are encrypted.  That must mean that the unique encryption key is embedded in the hardware of the console itself.

Yup, that's what I read too. Too bad the PS4 doesn't support external HD's. 

BDaddyK    1106

Pretty decent, bout the same power consumption for double the power. Fan noise and standby consumption seem like the only knocks against. 

ninjabjj    1286

From what I read, there were s very little value upgrading to the Pro. Why did they rush it out so fast upon the PS4 launch? I think Xbox Scorpio has it right for another year from now which will also benefit in terms of the hardware performance.  Seems a little too quick just to go from a resolution that doesn't affect 99% of the people. My two cents