xcoaste

Son wants 3DS

18 posts in this topic

My son has asked for a 3ds for Christmas this year. I started looking online, and they are sold out at a bunch of retailers? Am I missing something, I thought the NES was the hot new item?! Anyway, with the switch details slowing coming out, does anyone think jumping this late into the DS market is a mistake? He has a wii u and while he enjoys the games on it, we all know it is about dead in the water.

I know Nintendo has stated they will continue the handheld market after the switch, but it just seems like the switch will kill a lot of the DS game sales, unless there are going to be different games released for each system. Also, what games are must haves for the 3ds?

7 minutes ago, xcoaste said:

My son has asked for a 3ds for Christmas this year. I started looking online, and they are sold out at a bunch of retailers? Am I missing something, I thought the NES was the hot new item?! Anyway, with the switch details slowing coming out, does anyone think jumping this late into the DS market is a mistake? He has a wii u and while he enjoys the games on it, we all know it is about dead in the water.

I know Nintendo has stated they will continue the handheld market after the switch, but it just seems like the switch will kill a lot of the DS game sales, unless there are going to be different games released for each system. Also, what games are must haves for the 3ds?

there are plenty of great games on the 3DS so if he has never had one the will have a deep library to draw from. That being said I do believe that the platform is going to die once the switch hits. So I wouldn't expect much more in the way of new games.

If you are going to invest I suggest getting a N3DS XL since i has the larger screen and is generally easier to use. If you son is on the young side and prone to breaking things you might consider a 2DS because I hear those things are built like tanks (and they are much cheaper).  I would think retailers would have both of those models in stock. The one that everyone wanted on black friday was the regular N3DS mario edition that was super cheap for $100 but those sold out in seconds.

3 people like this

Can't find them online anywhere for under $200, couple places advertised them at $175 for this week, but they are sold out. Might just wait for the switch (and preorder)!!!!

19 minutes ago, xcoaste said:

Can't find them online anywhere for under $200, couple places advertised them at $175 for this week, but they are sold out. Might just wait for the switch (and preorder)!!!!

wow. you are right. online seems to be sold out. i am pretty surprised. i guess that new pokemon is moving units. either that or they have cut production in anticipation of the switch.

42 minutes ago, studknckl said:

wow. you are right. online seems to be sold out. i am pretty surprised. i guess that new pokemon is moving units. either that or they have cut production in anticipation of the switch.

Probably just cut production. I'm convinced at this point that Nintendo still thinks being out of stock all the time somehow stirs up hype.

1 person likes this

As far as the Switch goes, I keep reading its battery life is going to suck.

My Walmart has a bunch-a-ton of 3DS's. Can order it online (?) or I can just mail it if it comes to the wire for ya.

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

As far as the Switch goes, I keep reading its battery life is going to suck.

My Walmart has a bunch-a-ton of 3DS's. Can order it online (?) or I can just mail it if it comes to the wire for ya.

Thanks for the offer, let me talk to my wife to see if this is what she wants to get him for sure! What is the price, I can paypal money.

Just stopped by the local Gamestop and they said they should be getting some later this week. Going to give that a shot.

1 hour ago, xcoaste said:

Just stopped by the local Gamestop and they said they should be getting some later this week. Going to give that a shot.

Cool!

Offer is still open just in case.

2 people like this

3DS would be a great gift. Tons and tons of great games, especially for a younger gamer. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, no1hustler said:

His "son" wants it.  

;) 

If I wanted it, I would have bought one already!

3 people like this

On 12/12/2016 at 9:19 PM, xcoaste said:

If I wanted it, I would have bought one already!

I am getting one....... err I mean my son is getting one this Christmas.

Hate to say convincing my wife on his gift had some hidden greedy intentions. 

31 minutes ago, Strongbad11 said:

I am getting one....... err I mean my son is getting one this Christmas.

Hate to say convincing my wife on his gift had some hidden greedy intentions. 

That is why my kid is getting a bunch of legos. :) 

I was surprised to see that my local Target had been completely cleared out of all nintendo consoles. Not a single 3DS or Wii U to be seen. I did, however, read a thread on GAF yesterday that said that Nintendo had recalled all Wii U units from Best Buy. I guess they are trying to make sure noting gets in the way of Switch sales. But it seems odd. You would think they would use this final xmas to move as many units as possible.

2 hours ago, no1hustler said:

That is why my kid is getting a bunch of legos. :) 

I wouldn't want to get between either of my boys and their Legos...

2 hours ago, studknckl said:

I was surprised to see that my local Target had been completely cleared out of all nintendo consoles. Not a single 3DS or Wii U to be seen. I did, however, read a thread on GAF yesterday that said that Nintendo had recalled all Wii U units from Best Buy. I guess they are trying to make sure noting gets in the way of Switch sales. But it seems odd. You would think they would use this final xmas to move as many units as possible.

Didn't Nintey announce that they had stopped production of the Wii U too?

2 minutes ago, BDaddyK said:

Didn't Nintey announce that they had stopped production of the Wii U too?

They did. Which might mean they are pulling the stock to use as refurb and warranty replacements. Seeing as how some launch bundles were still out there to be had I don't think there was a lot of "production" going on when they announced the cancellation.