Chuckles

Project Scorpio Hardware Reveal (duuuuude)

95 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Chuckles said:

I'll need to upgrade my television, too. Bah.

Not necessarily, XB1 games running fully 1080p and super sampling will be great till you upgrade to a 4K set

4k sets will be a lot cheaper by the time this comes out. You'll start seeing some lower end options hit stores because the demand will go up as this and other 4k devices become available.

21 hours ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

4k sets will be a lot cheaper by the time this comes out. You'll start seeing some lower end options hit stores because the demand will go up as this and other 4k devices become available.

There are lower end models that are $400 and under now

1 minute ago, BDaddyK said:

There are lower end models that are $400 and under now

but do they have HDR?

HDR is my only reason for getting a 4K set

1 person likes this

Just now, SithWarrior said:

but do they have HDR?

Most likely not, as they are the lower end 4K models. 

I think wally world has a few cheaper models with HDR but they're not "name brand".

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Chuckles said:

I think wally world has a few cheaper models with HDR but they're not "name brand".

Amazon sells some name brand ones for $500 in the 40" range.

They sell my 43" for less than $400 now I think - but no HDR.

Edit: actually, the website claims that my tv is HDR enabled. Some quick searches shows it supports HDR10. May need to look more into it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

$499 November release date. I'm in boys!

4 people like this

Same, but I pretty much always was.

2 people like this

Even though I don't play as much as I used too,  I'm on board as well

1 person likes this

Interesting that the console upgrades (the between gen systems) are now up to $500. They can say that the "generations are over" but we all know there will be another huge jump in 2-4 years. I'm just not sure what the big deal is here to spend that kind of money compared to the launch version.

6 minutes ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

Interesting that the console upgrades (the between gen systems) are now up to $500. They can say that the "generations are over" but we all know there will be another huge jump in 2-4 years. I'm just not sure what the big deal is here to spend that kind of money compared to the launch version.

That's the feeling I get, too. I don't think this is going to be the last jump, and it's also not the direction I am interested in consoles going. I don't want to feel obligated to upgrade all my gaming systems on a 2-3 year rotation. In any event, I won't be purchasing a Scorpio anytime soon just as I won't be getting a Pro anytime soon. 

18 minutes ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

Well compared to the launch XB1 it's a pretty big jump. The XB1 was pretty weak sauce at launch. I think to "refresh" the XB1X and ask $500 for it is gonna take some really big guns. I'm not looking forward to $500+ console "refreshes" every 2-3 years myself. I think the $500 price tag for the XB1X is kinda steep, but will be a good litmus for what the market will bear. 

13 minutes ago, BDaddyK said:

Well compared to the launch XB1 it's a pretty big jump. The XB1 was pretty weak sauce at launch. I think to "refresh" the XB1X and ask $500 for it is gonna take some really big guns. I'm not looking forward to $500+ console "refreshes" every 2-3 years myself. I think the $500 price tag for the XB1X is kinda steep, but will be a good litmus for what the market will bear. 

The actual hardware comparison is fair, that's for sure. I'm just not seeing the reason to upgrade if there aren't any games that you have to have the newer hardware for. Unless you want 4K or the other technical improvements, of course.

8 hours ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

The actual hardware comparison is fair, that's for sure. I'm just not seeing the reason to upgrade if there aren't any games that you have to have the newer hardware for. Unless you want 4K or the other technical improvements, of course.

That's the thing with these mid gen "refreshes" they're all wants and not needs

1 hour ago, BDaddyK said:

That's the thing with these mid gen "refreshes" they're all wants and not needs

And that to me is the whole point in favor of this system.  Now you're not going to NEED to upgrade in order to play new games.  Discounting the ridiculous lifespan of the PS3 and the Xbox 360, a 4 year split between consoles isn't really outside of the norm, with the old console still being "supported" for a couple of years after the new one has been released.  With this, buying the new console on day 1 isn't necessary if there are games coming out at the time that you're interested in playing on that platform - you can just play those games on your existing hardware if you're fine with that.  And when or if you decide that you do want to start gaming with the improved graphics and performance of the newer system, you can just make the purchase down the road.  I can only hope that they genuinely follow through with this view of how consoles should work moving forward, so that in 4 years when the next big refresh comes there's still the built in compatibility with all the games that came before.

They did show off a lot of games.  Many of those games are timed exclusives on console launch, and very few of them are down-right exclusive.  I'm probably way outside of the norm here, but I don't buy a particular console for exclusives.  It's one of the big issues I have with Nintendo, as their consoles basically exist for exclusives.  I would like to see all of these systems move to less exclusivity, more cross-play, and in general get to a point where the competition for console sales depends more on the console itself than it does on the software you're going to run on it.

Ultimately, I bought a 4K television last year with the intent of purchasing this console this year.  I'd like to game in 4K, and this is the cheapest path to me doing it on a platform that I'm familiar with and enjoy.  Additionally they showed off plenty of games that are going to be on the console that I'm at least interested in playing.  We'll see how many of those actually turn out as promising as they seem.  Of that I'm skeptical, in particular with Anthem.

4 people like this

I'm all in favor of getting rid of console gems too, no more needing to upgrade is nice. I just don't want $500 to become the norm for pricing. 

I am in as well, but fuck it I always was anyway. 

1 person likes this

Also thanks Microsoft for not forcing Sony to lower the price of the PS4 Pro. :(

1 person likes this

$400 woulda been megatons...

1 person likes this

I do not have many hobbies that I spend money on but this is one of them. $500 for a few years of daily use is worth it to me for the visual update and 4k UHD Blu Ray too.

3 people like this

Maybe next year. That's a lot of blood and plasma I'll have to sell.

4 people like this