• Announcements

• Duke大王

TeamSpeak License Expiring 9/1/2017   07/31/17

Our TeamSpeak License will be expiring by September 1st, 2017. I encourage everyone who still may be using the TeamSpeak server to migrate over to our Discord server before then to continue chatting with your buddies. You can click here for further instructions.   
    • BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
Sign in to follow this  
MadWik

Fortnite anyone?

MadWik    2123

Fortnite gets released to the public on Friday (7/20/17). Anyone here picking it up? I'll probably get it on Xbox, unless there's a group playing on PC or PS4.

Yeah, I know it'll be free-to-play next year, but I don't want to wait that long. I don't mind paying for a founder's pack and getting the extra goodies, which I'd have to pay for if I went the Free route. I just hope it doesn't collapse before official launch like EQ Next did (wowee I wasted a lot of money on that one).

• Like 2

Duke大王    884
10 minutes ago, MadWik said:

Fortnite gets released to the public on Friday (7/20/17). Anyone here picking it up? I'll probably get it on Xbox, unless there's a group playing on PC or PS4.

Yeah, I know it'll be free-to-play next year, but I don't want to wait that long. I don't mind paying for a founder's pack and getting the extra goodies, which I'd have to pay for if I went the Free route. I just hope it doesn't collapse before official launch like EQ Next did (wowee I wasted a lot of money on that one).

I know @Ghost Touched is getting it on Xbox and I think @CaptainToay43 is as well. I am interested in it but will be waiting for it to release f2p later on most likely.

romanodog    2383

I think i'll be waiting for it to go free to play.  I have a buddy that will be playing on PC and TAG buddies on xbox so I don't really want to commit cash to one at this point.

MadWik    2123
1 hour ago, romanodog said:

I have a buddy that will be playing on PC and TAG buddies on xbox so I don't really want to commit cash to one at this point.

Yeah, that part is hang up for me. I'll buy one, then a bunch of people will be playing it somewhere else.

It supports cross-platform between PC & PS4, but not Xbox. (Peculiar, considering MS started a push to make PC & Xbox games cross-platform.)

ninjabjj    1286

Why isn't it free out of the gate if they plan to go free anyway? Just curious....

MadWik    2123

It's just moved from Alpha to Beta, so you get to pay to be in the beta. But, it comes with a lot of perks (llama pinatas) that you'll have to pay for when it's free to play if you want them.

The game is very polished, especially for a beta, and doesn't feel half-baked.

• Like 1

MadWik    2123

For those of you wondering how Fortnite is, here's a quick preview...

The game has several dimensions to it. The root of it is a FPS base defense game where you run & gun and build traps. In this regard, it's a lot like Orcs Must Die with floor traps, wall traps and ceiling traps, and a lot of shooting. The game has a whimsical feel to it, kinda like Plants vs Zombies.

You progress through a path of quests that increase your skills (big skill tree), heroes, base defenders, weapons and traps. Some of the missions are at your main base, which is static through the game. You can keep building it bigger and however you want. The other missions put you in a public area where you have some objectives, ultimately requiring you to protect an objective from waves of monsters. This is where you and 3 other people create a small fort with walls and traps to protect the objective. I've played these with public groups, no voice chat, and they've all been fun and gone smoothly. Since 4 people are building these forts, they get kinda crazy sometimes. I'm impressed at how easy it is to build and manipulate objects, especially with a controller. Sometimes, groups build a bunch of walls and no traps, other groups have people that build tons of traps. This is where I think playing with a group of friends is really beneficial, since you can coordinate the fort building.

Through all of this, you collect a lot of weapons, including pistols, assault rifles and swords. Weapons have durability and they will break quite often. You also receive schematics which allow you to build weapons from materials you find while you're on missions. So while you're running around fighting monsters, you have to use a pickax to harvest resources from rocks, tree, cars, etc. It's a big part of the game, and I frequently find that I'm running low on materials required for traps and ammo.

If it sounds like a lot, it's because it is! This game has a lot going on. I haven't even touched on build defense squads or upgrading your heroes. You can find a lot of videos on YouTube and get a feel for the action. 

As for the Free-to-Play part, that will come next year once the game finishes development (and enough suckers like me pay money to support the development). Once it does, you spend money to buy V-bucks (in game currency), then you use those to buy Llama pinatas. Smashing pinatas drops cool weapon schematics, traps, defenders, etc. You do not need to buy these to progress in the game. They do make things a little easier, but even without them the game is just as fun. (BTW, smashing lllama pinatas is a lot of fun.)

• Like 2