Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469
Locowhodat430

Destiny 2 on Xbox or PS4 ??

BDaddyK    1133

I'd love PvE in Destiny to be 60fps, though, I have no problem with it at 30 either. Bungie has always had a great playing FPS engine, the combo of graphics, gameplay and gunplay has always been tops. Even at 30fps it's always still felt "right". 

LilUbo    4504
3 hours ago, BDaddyK said:

Bungie has said it's a CPU issue, the turds in the XB1/PS4 family aren't powerful enough. The sky's the limit for most PC gamers. 

My bad. I misunderstood. I thought that you meant that the game engine wasn't powerful enough.

BDaddyK    1133
52 minutes ago, LilUbo said:

My bad. I misunderstood. I thought that you meant that the game engine wasn't powerful enough.

No worries. If you haven't seen this vid yet it's a pretty good watch pertaining to why the Pro/X won't be 60fps. 

BDaddyK    1133
4 hours ago, hybridhavoc said:

While this testing was all done on the PC and during the beta, it's still pretty informative.

Does Bungies's CPU claim still hold water? 

hybridhavoc    727
10 minutes ago, BDaddyK said:

Does Bungies's CPU claim still hold water? 

Kind of.  If the goal is to have Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Playstation 4 and Playstation 4 Pro all hitting the same framerate, in order to have a 60fps lock at 1080p they would need more powerful CPUs.  The key point of that video I think is ~ the 13:05 mark where you get to see the results from their testing.  While some of that information isn't entirely reliable due to virtually no optimization on AMD processors and not using the multithreading at all, this chart is useful for seeing how heavily changes in CPU can impact the performance of the game.  About the lowest spec chip in their benchmarks that can accomodate 60fps at 1080p is the G4560 - a dual core multithreaded chip that handily outperforms the Xbox One S processor and will probably do so for the Xbox One X processor as well.

Ultimately the processor upgrade just wasn't that much of a change.  It's the same architecture, same number of cores, just a .5 GHz increase in clock speed.  So I do think it's true that it would struggle to run at 60fps even at 1080p, let alone at 4k.  Though I wonder how much of a difference there would between 4k and 1080p in this case.  Considering that there is virtually no significant fps gains by dropping graphical settings, this makes me think that the effect the CPU is having is mostly a matter of tracking objects and physics.  The same G4560 appears to be able to hit a 60fps lock even at 1440p.

I have to wonder if some of this isn't a side effect of not having dedicated servers handling everything.  They are still, to my knowledge, going with this weird sort of dedicated server / peer-to-peer hybrid system and while they've moved more stuff to the servers it's clearly not everything.  If things like object tracking and physics were handled at the server, I'd bet that would free up some overhead for the CPUs.  No personal idea of why that either is or is not feasible.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, hybridhavoc said:

Kind of.  If the goal is to have Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Playstation 4 and Playstation 4 Pro all hitting the same framerate, in order to have a 60fps lock at 1080p they would need more powerful CPUs.  The key point of that video I think is ~ the 13:05 mark where you get to see the results from their testing.  While some of that information isn't entirely reliable due to virtually no optimization on AMD processors and not using the multithreading at all, this chart is useful for seeing how heavily changes in CPU can impact the performance of the game.  About the lowest spec chip in their benchmarks that can accomodate 60fps at 1080p is the G4560 - a dual core multithreaded chip that handily outperforms the Xbox One S processor and will probably do so for the Xbox One X processor as well.

Ultimately the processor upgrade just wasn't that much of a change.  It's the same architecture, same number of cores, just a .5 GHz increase in clock speed.  So I do think it's true that it would struggle to run at 60fps even at 1080p, let alone at 4k.  Though I wonder how much of a difference there would between 4k and 1080p in this case.  Considering that there is virtually no significant fps gains by dropping graphical settings, this makes me think that the effect the CPU is having is mostly a matter of tracking objects and physics.  The same G4560 appears to be able to hit a 60fps lock even at 1440p.

I have to wonder if some of this isn't a side effect of not having dedicated servers handling everything.  They are still, to my knowledge, going with this weird sort of dedicated server / peer-to-peer hybrid system and while they've moved more stuff to the servers it's clearly not everything.  If things like object tracking and physics were handled at the server, I'd bet that would free up some overhead for the CPUs.  No personal idea of why that either is or is not feasible.

Seems like last night on release night I was having some huge issues with frame rate and freezing. It took a while to get into the game as it was full?? Seems strange but maybe they were just safe guarding against it totally crashing. This morning it was much better but still has a few times that it froze and then started back up again. I bought it on both Xbox and PS4 although I've only started playing on xbox. I'll wait until I complete campaign on one before jumping over to the PS. I have a ton of friends on Xbox and the exclusive missions and HDR on the PS Pro made it tough to decide,  Looking forward to playing with all you guardians, for the puppies of course. 

BDaddyK    1133
6 minutes ago, Locowhodat430 said:

No they are not supporting HDR on the S or on the X, no xbox love

Not even on the X?! Lame...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.