Welcome to The Adult Gamer!

We are a 21 and older multiplatform gaming community comprised of people from all walks of life, playing all sorts of games!
Join Us

Chat us up on our Discord server

There's always a friendly face and hilarious commentary going on; feel free to introduce yourself!
Click Here

Destiny 2 is Hot Hot Hot!

Spread across all three platforms, TAG has an excellent representation in Bungie's newly launched Destiny 2 title. We're active and passionate about our space raiding, but laid back enough to take anyone.
  • Announcements

• BDaddyK

New to TAG? Start Here!   08/01/17

Welcome to TAG! Our community encompasses all aspects of gaming, from Consoles, PC to mobile and handheld, we love all facets of gaming.To become better acquainted with the community a great place to start is with an introduction: Hello! My name is...   Here at TAG we strive to be an all inclusive community where adult gamers can share their passion for all types of gaming. We want TAG to be a great place for all of our members, and for them to enjoy their time here. To that end please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for our community:  TAG policy and guidelines   Thank you, TAG Council
    • Hoptimus

T-SHIRTS are LIVE!!!   09/18/17

We have new TAG T-Shirts ready to go!!!   https://shop.spreadshirt.com/TheAdultGamer/   LIMITED TIME DISCOUNT! 15% off with coupon code: welcome-100206469

For those who either have SW battlefront 2, or either plan on getting it or haven't decided yet, this will interest you.  

Consider yourselves warned.  

• Haha 1

The latest, again courtesy of YongYea.  

See, there are occasions where the AAAs learn lessons to benefit the regular Joes & Janes... even if only grudgingly.  

2 hours ago, Cbaoth said:

The latest, again courtesy of YongYea.  

See, there are occasions where the AAAs learn lessons to benefit the regular Joes & Janes... even if only grudgingly.  

didnt they also cut the amount of credits earned per game as well? so its pretty much the same?

2 hours ago, Stevie Knuckles said:

didnt they also cut the amount of credits earned per game as well? so its pretty much the same?

That, I've no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least;  it would fit into "pushing" people into paying to win via those loot-boxes.  With gaming now either considered a sport, or about to be considered as such (I forgot which), expect these things to escalate as time goes on.  At least until the bubble inevitably bursts; greed after all, knows no common sense.  

3 hours ago, Stevie Knuckles said:

They did. 

EA should have never done this to begin with. You buy Star Wars Battlefront to play as these characters from the start. Not to play as a stormtrooper from 10-40 hours. If you wanted that, Battlefield 1 or Infinte warfare (space fps!) should be your games. 

They should have had base characters unlocked that you can play with and grind to unlock / purchase character skins.

EA version of Battlefront sucks balls

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LilUbo said:

They did. 

EA should have never done this to begin with. You buy Star Wars Battlefront to play as these characters from the start. Not to play as a stormtrooper from 10-40 hours. If you wanted that, Battlefield 1 or Infinte warfare (space fps!) should be your games. 

They should have had base characters unlocked that you can play with and grind to unlock / purchase character skins.

EA version of Battlefront sucks balls

This is the AAA industry now.  Hell, look at the damned patent Activision did in the last few years (where they pair you up vs/with someone who will very likely have an item you may want).  It's little more then legalized gambling &/or going after the "impulse" player.  They even have terms for that, which I didn't know before: Whales (for those who are willing to shell out tons of cash for these upgrades; I.E.: paying to win), & Dolphins (for those who will "only" spend upgrade cash every so often).  I'm guessing "suckers" &/or "non-lifers" is for those who just grind & grind & grind for these upgrades until their fingers fall off.  

Practices like these are, in part, why I'm moving toward the "indies".  

I caved when they waved the white flag in temporary truce and disabled microtransactions until a further time period.

The campaign is utterly amazing and brilliant. I have not been this happy playing a Star Wars game since the Jedi Knight/KOTOR days. They put a LOT of hard work and lore love into this. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zelq said:

holy shit, that's just wrong. so disappointed...

That's nothing, wait until Activision's patent goes through, if it hasn't already.  YongYea can explain it better then I:  

As of yesterday:  

The upper one interests me the most,  if they do something it might get the ball rolling for the west to follow suit.  

At this point even if they change the whole system and do away with the time gate on earning credits I will not be purchasing the game. It's just a sad way to ruin a awesome game that I was super pumped to get. I won't even buy this game when it is on sale later on. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pharbot said:

At this point even if they change the whole system and do away with the time gate on earning credits I will not be purchasing the game. It's just a sad way to ruin a awesome game that I was super pumped to get. I won't even buy this game when it is on sale later on. 

I worry about the "going forward" aspect of this.  Battlefront 2 is thus far the most egregious example of the loot boxes, but it's only going to escalate.  Belgium opening an investigation (the UK is already undergoing a similar one, if reports are accurate) will start putting an "eye of Sauron"-like focus on the AAA gaming industry as it is now & hopefully put a kibosh on this "pay to play" thing that they're doing. At the very least put labeling on the game that says "digital gambling component".   Parents that see those words on a gaming label will not want their kids coming close to anything like that, which will also have the effect of forcing the AAAs away from such practices... if the parents are true parents that is.  

5 hours ago, Cbaoth said:

Battlefront 2 is thus far the most egregious example of the loot boxes

BF2 is not even close to the most egregious example of loot boxes. Not even close. Look to games published from companies in China and South Korea for that.

This isn't something new that's happened in the gaming industry but has been around (and accepted by certain sectors of gaming, namely sports, digital TCG, MMOs, MOBAs, and mobile) for a long time now. It only is perceived this way because it's being done with a beloved, long-standing IP with an audience (FPS gamers) that hasn't yet been slowly conditioned to accept this behavior as the norm. 

The reason why this happened is because it's already been an accepted norm in other areas of gaming and because it's been more profitable than the actual boxed games sales by an incredible margin, which means that to game publishers and shareholders, gamers have already voted with their wallets on spending money on loot boxes. If that hadn't been the case, this whole scenario would have never happened. Companies don't like taking risks with well-established, super-popular franchises first - they save that experimentation for other things. 

And sadly, anything European legislative bodies do will have zero effect on us here in the states, just like all their antitrust legislation and consumer advocate policies bare no weight on companies here. 

5 hours ago, Duke said:

BF2 is not even close to the most egregious example of loot boxes. Not even close. Look to games published from companies in China and South Korea for that.

This isn't something new that's happened in the gaming industry but has been around (and accepted by certain sectors of gaming, namely sports, digital TCG, MMOs, MOBAs, and mobile) for a long time now. It only is perceived this way because it's being done with a beloved, long-standing IP with an audience (FPS gamers) that hasn't yet been slowly conditioned to accept this behavior as the norm. 

The reason why this happened is because it's already been an accepted norm in other areas of gaming and because it's been more profitable than the actual boxed games sales by an incredible margin, which means that to game publishers and shareholders, gamers have already voted with their wallets on spending money on loot boxes. If that hadn't been the case, this whole scenario would have never happened. Companies don't like taking risks with well-established, super-popular franchises first - they save that experimentation for other things. 

And sadly, anything European legislative bodies do will have zero effect on us here in the states, just like all their antitrust legislation and consumer advocate policies bare no weight on companies here. 

Then I guess it's a good thing I'm moving toward the indies then.  

I mean, it's possible things could change in the industry, but my cynicism says it'd need more than just an outcry against one game to do that. 

COD WW2 could use a similar response with many of the epic, heroic, and legendary weapons being locked behind lootboxes but the fanbase there says it's not the same because they're just weapons, not hero classes. EVE-Online fanbase says skill injectors for characters are not the same because it doesn't guarantee winning, thus it's not really pay-to-win. 

I think the better course of action might be for gamers to write to their senators and congressmen about their concern of this being "online gambling", which is illegal for many states, but then that'd introduce government regulation into game development which I know quite a few wouldn't be a fan of. 

Just when I thought the story had died down, especially since the game was supposedly released either yesterday or the day before; lookee lookee folks:  

My favorite dark humor video in regards to the fiasco EA did to themselves.  The best part of the vid, to me, starts around the 4:30 mark.  

On a more serious note, the latest is courtesy of SidAlpha.  Hawaii is the one the surprised me. Granted state law is not federal, but if more states follow suit, especially on the mainland, it could be well on its way to being a federal matter.  

What'll hopefully be the final post in regards to this fiasco.  Those who have the money may seriously want to consider buying EA stock now while it's fairly low, well low in comparison to what it was pre-Battlefront 2 mess, it won't be this low price forever.