BGH228

Rate the last movie you watched.

1812 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 7/10

Not a huge Tina Fey fan, but this was a good watch. It was comedy, but it had enough serious moment that really pulled me into the movie. 

Edited by CaptainToay43

Wonder Woman.  

That it was still under the Zack Snyder banner & still a positive non-bleak Superhero flick was/is surprising (how much of that was due to his wife &/or Jeoff Johns is the question). Him going out on a positive note as opposed to a controversial one is a plus. DC/WB will hopefully pay more attention to her character now, maybe give her some recurring villains besides Cheetah who are worth a damn.

Again Misney blew an opportunity here, they had pretty much a decade head-start over DC/WB on the live action movie front (She Hulk &/or Squirrel Girl could have been done by this time).

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should really do so, unless you're not a WW fan. It's definitely in my Blu-ray/DVD collection when it hits.  I would say an 8 out of 10.  

3 people like this

Wonder Woman

8.5 / 10

The movie was an overall fun experience. What nitpicks there are (and they are only nitpicks) are completely overshadowed by the movie's pacing and quality.

Gal Gadot brings Wonder Woman to life! I was one of the many that were first annoyed by her not fitting the "type casting" for WW. And she made us all wrong.

Chris Pine did a perfect job, all the actors did, of being great while still having the focus be Gadot.

The movie loses half a point for the back-and-forth of Wonder Woman's trained amazon warrioring to girly wannabe ass kicker and back again.

Oddly, it was only present after she leaves the island (uh, spoiler).

An entire point is lost for the last bit of the climactic conclusion. By no means does it ruin nor mar the flick. It was simply uninspired cliche weak sauce.

Coupled with that weird back-and-forth I mentioned earlier it didn't damage the movie yet it certainly didn't do it any favors.

I was honestly amazed how unpolitical the movie was. It has its messages but they are in the vein of yesteryear: short and sweet, not blunt and shallow in accordance to the messes of modern left and right.

I watched the movie in 3D and there really isn't a pressing need for it, no CGI that screams for it 'n such. But there are several moments where it is used well.

For a fun escape you could do much, much worse than Wonder Woman.

2 people like this

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales

8 / 10   (personal score: 6 / 10)

The set pieces are as one would expect: colorful, vivid and even lively. The expected humor is there as well. Quick, sharp and at times very unfortunately self-aware.

Because, while still humorous, it wasn't anything new. It's simply more of the same. Disney is clearly operating under the wisdom of not fixing what ain't broke.

The new villain feels almost like a rehash. Which is odd because he's his own, cool-lookin' baddie. His henchmen barely serve as a backdrop, however.

The two points lost are for the story.

One for the uninspired main story. You can practically hear the check boxes being marked one by one as it progresses.

The other for the missed backstories that would explain how everyone and everything got to where we find them at the movie's start.

I can't help but feel that would have made a much more entertaining and compelling flick.

The movie didn't do anything wrong. It simply didn't do much, if anything, right.

I dunno. Maybe I watched it on an "off" day.

14 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Wonder Woman

8.5 / 10

The movie was an overall fun experience. What nitpicks there are (and they are only nitpicks) are completely overshadowed by the movie's pacing and quality.

Gal Gadot brings Wonder Woman to life! I was one of the many that were first annoyed by her not fitting the "type casting" for WW. And she made us all wrong.

Chris Pine did a perfect job, all the actors did, of being great while still having the focus be Gadot.

The movie loses half a point for the back-and-forth of Wonder Woman's trained amazon warrioring to girly wannabe ass kicker and back again.

An entire point is lost for the last bit of the climactic conclusion. By no means does it ruin nor mar the flick. It was simply uninspired cliche weak sauce.

Coupled with that weird back-and-forth I mentioned earlier it didn't damage the movie yet it certainly didn't do it any favors.

I was honestly amazed how unpolitical the movie was. It has its messages but they are in the vein of yesteryear: short and sweet, not blunt and shallow in accordance to the messes of modern left and right.

I watched the movie in 3D and there really isn't a pressing need for it, no CGI that screams for it 'n such. But there are several moments where it is used well.

This is pretty much my take too. Good movie but not great and the last 30-45 minutes the pacing and climax of the plot are pretty limp.

Still best of the DC movies in the current batch but for me not as good as the Marvel Studios flicks.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Hoptimus said:

This is pretty much my take too. Good movie but not great and the last 30-45 minutes the pacing and climax of the plot are pretty limp.

Still best of the DC movies in the current batch but for me not as good as the Marvel Studios flicks.

I just really really wanna bang Gal Gadot.

2 people like this

On 6/15/2017 at 9:59 PM, Chuckles said:

Wonder Woman

8.5 / 10

Well wouldn't that only happen after she leaves the island? On the island she'd only be who she is, there is no outside influence to be "less warrior like and more girly". 

The Matrix

7 / 10

This movie is fun and has plenty of good action scenes, although the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style of flying through the air in completely unnatural ways has been done better by plenty of movies.  The special effects are among the worst I've been in recent years.  Pretty much on par with a show on SyFy.  It certainly captures the 90s "hacker" subculture, at least insofar as how it was imagined by teenagers and young adults.

If you are relaxing around the house for a weekend without Internet, I'd recommend it.  But maybe don't follow through on that Matrix marathon you had planned.

1 hour ago, hybridhavoc said:

The Matrix

7 / 10

This movie is fun and has plenty of good action scenes, although the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style of flying through the air in completely unnatural ways has been done better by plenty of movies.  The special effects are among the worst I've been in recent years.  Pretty much on par with a show on SyFy.  It certainly captures the 90s "hacker" subculture, at least insofar as how it was imagined by teenagers and young adults.

If you are relaxing around the house for a weekend without Internet, I'd recommend it.  But maybe don't follow through on that Matrix marathon you had planned.

Have you never seen the Matrix movies before?

IMG_5924.PNG

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, BDaddyK said:

Have you never seen the Matrix movies before?

Oh I've seen them before.  Just not in the past 14 years or so.

2 hours ago, hybridhavoc said:

Oh I've seen them before.  Just not in the past 14 years or so.

Ok then :) I'd have said to skip the second and third turds. The first Matrix was pretty cool and still holds up decently well today and Keanu gets to display every species of tree without killing the movie. 

20 hours ago, BDaddyK said:

Well wouldn't that only happen after she leaves the island? On the island she'd only be who she is, there is no outside influence to be "less warrior like and more girly". 

Misunderstood. I'm talking about her fighting ability 'n such bouncing from kickassery to "hey watch me bend my wrists and snap 'em with the most briefest of contacts".

15 hours ago, BDaddyK said:

Ok then :) I'd have said to skip the second and third turds. The first Matrix was pretty cool and still holds up decently well today and Keanu gets to display every species of tree without killing the movie. 

I think I enjoyed the Matrix anime shorts more than I did the second and third, but I own all three on bluray. Might need to get the anime on bluray now...

I still have yet to watch the Matrix anime shorts.  I'll have to check them out. 

The Matrix Reloaded

6/10

Basically most of what I said for the first one still stands true.  All of the action scenes are ratcheted up comparatively, which is good, though there are some inconsistencies between the movies.  For example, the Agents were once the baddest of the badasses from whom everybody that was smart ran, and everybody else died.  But in the Matrix Reloaded, The Good Guys are taking on Agents left and right without much concern.  I don't know of this is intentional, playing on their confidence through hope that is sort of the theme for the movie, or just a sacrifice at the alter of sequels.

There is also apparently a big chunk of the story missing from between the first movie and this one.  There has been time between the two movies for Neo to have not only been to Zion but to call it home.  There are people there that he has personally helped to save from the Matrix, and he has a cult that has grown up about him.  I don't remember anybody mentioning a specific length of time, but it's clearly more than a couple of weeks.

The CGI is even worse in this one than in the first movie, but that's because the growth in ambition outpaced the technological advances between the two movies.  I imagine that if I watch the third one today, the CGI there will seem even worse.

1 hour ago, BDaddyK said:

I still have yet to watch the Matrix anime shorts.  I'll have to check them out. 

I remember the anime shorts actually being pretty good.  I feel it's important to also note that there were three - yes, three - Matrix video games, including Matrix Online.  While that MMO was shut down in 2009, there has been a project to resurrect it ever since.

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, hybridhavoc said:

I remember the anime shorts actually being pretty good.  I feel it's important to also note that there were three - yes, three - Matrix video games, including Matrix Online.  While that MMO was shut down in 2009, there has been a project to resurrect it ever since.

I had fun playing the MMO and was sad when it shut down.

3 hours ago, hybridhavoc said:

Never did play the Matrix MMO, though I did get to play the other two abortions...

1 hour ago, BDaddyK said:

Never did play the Matrix MMO, though I did get to play the other two abortions...

For its' time it was interesting and captured the Matrix feel well (including invincible agents lol...). Nothing revolutionary though.

Wonder Woman

This is a tough one to rate. There's been so much feedback on this movie already, it was hard to go in and not be influenced by what I'd already heard. I'd probably have to give it a 7/10, though. There were some parts I really really enjoyed. I thought Chris Pine was awesome. And Gal....holy shit is that woman easy on the eyes. There we some slow parts for me, and the end was....eh. Still, I think it was a good effort by DC and I'd rank it with some of the current MCU.

Cars 3 was the sequel that Cars 2 should have been.

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

Cars 3 was the sequel that Cars 2 should have been.

I felt the same way about Toy Story 3. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, DukeDesu said:

I felt the same way about Toy Story 3. 

I don't know that the original Cars really set up Toy Story 3 as a sequel.

2 minutes ago, QuiGonGinRummy said:

I don't know that the original Cars really set up Toy Story 3 as a sequel.

Didn't you know all Pixar movies are spin-off sequels of the original Toy Story movie? 

1 person likes this

Just now, DukeDesu said:

Didn't you know all Pixar movies are spin-off sequels of the original Toy Story movie? 

Cars 3 actually pays homage to this.